[Peakoil-announce] Dr Bakhtiari has passed away

Alex Pollard alex-po at trevbus.org
Wed Nov 28 02:32:53 UTC 2007

Hi folks,

Some sad news, Dr Bakhtiari has died.

http://www.energybulletin.net/37662.html

I met Dr Bakhtiari when he spoke at a forum organised by the Bureau of
Transport and Regional Economics in April 2005.

http://act-peakoil.org/pipermail/peakoil-announce/2005-May/000024.html
http://www.btre.gov.au/info.aspx?ResourceId=96&NodeId=59

He had some interesting perspectives, for instance he supported what the US
was doing in Iraq! I'm not sure how much that was him being diplomatic, or
loyalty to Iran, or his opposition to the hardline muslims like those who
control Iran. Of course the hardliners have been advantaged by the war on
Iraq.

He told me that they had tracked him as far as Perth but didn't know he was
in Canberra.

I also asked him about the contracts Australia had signed committing to
selling oil and gas resources to China and so forth, given that we may need
the scarce resources ourselves. He responded saying the contracts were just
bits of paper and could be torn up!

He later returned to Australia to give some pretty frank evidence before
the Senate Peak Oil inquiry.

Alex Pollard
O4O4873828

ACT Peak Oil