[Peakoil-announce] Peak Oil on Triple J's Hack and meetup outcome

Alex P alex-po at trevbus.org
Fri Jun 3 09:49:37 EST 2005

Hi folks,

First a quick reminder of the stall on Saturday, Kingsley St Acton near
Toad Hall from 10am. The documentary End of Suburbia will screen at 3pm.

http://www.ecoaction.net.au/ccserac.php?sec=100

Anyhow...

The entire half hour of TripleJ's Hack last night was about Peak Oil. The
audio is available online for the next week or so, so have a listen while
you can:

Real: http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/hack/mod_real/thu.ram
Windows Media: http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/hack/mod_windows/thu.asx

(bitrate suitable for dialup)

The show starts with an interview with James Howard Kunstler, and a
Q&A session with author Sonia Shah, Dr Karl Kruszelnicki, analyst Alex
Wadsley and state MP Andrew McNamara.

The meetup on Wednesday went well. Riccardo and Sharyn had their electric
bike with them and it rocks! My next vehicle will be one of them.

We agreed that it would be a good idea to work with the Peak Oil groups out
there like Brisbane and Sydney, and become a lobbying hub in Canberra.

We talked about the website, setting up a Wiki to enable group members to
maintain their own project pages ( solar energy collector, electric bike,
composting etc ), and also for policy framework development. David P's
laptop came in handy selecting the appropriate Wiki software.

We felt "Peak Oil" is something people find out about in their own time
(unfortunately) and so we should use the Peak Oil "brand" and people who
recognise it will come to us. Rather than try to educate people from
scratch.

We also agreed we should use posters from the Sydney Peak Oil group - see

http://www.eclipsenow.org/

Alex
O4O4873828

ACT Peak Oil discussion list