[Peakoil-announce] Fascinating interview with oil expert

Alex P alex-po at trevbus.org
Tue Aug 9 17:03:51 EST 2005

A really fascinating interview transcript. I couldn't stop reading it.

http://www.financialsense.com/transcriptions/Simmons.html

And it ends on a positive note:

"And I’ll give you just a quick shopping-list of some of the things that we
are actually going to need to do. In the shipment of goods, we use
worldwide about as much, or a little bit more, diesel fuel than we do motor
gasoline, and most of the diesel fuel is used by the truck fleets moving
goods. If you could wave a magic wand and in a 5 year period of time and
get all of the goods off the highway system going long distances by trucks,
and put them on either railbeds or water transportation: on the railbeds –
railroads – as long as you have long distance transportation, and long
trains versus short trains, and short distances, you can get an energy
efficiency savings of somewhere between 3 and 10 times – that’s not 3 and
10%, that’s 3 and 10 times; if you can get them on boats versus trains, it
has an additional energy efficiency savings of another 2 to 5 times. So by
getting trucks off our highway system we have a major impact on removing
traffic congestion. And traffic congestion is public enemy number 1 through
5 on passenger car fuel efficiency. So it’s a real win, win, win."

"....That sort of a plan [B] put in place over 5-7 years would take a lot
of coordination; not a single one of those things are impossible to do. We
could literally end up cutting oil consumption by 20-40%, by doing all of
those."

"While we’re doing Plan B by the way, we jumpstart the largest energy R&D
program ever envisioned, and just pray that over 5-7 years it has the same
impact as when people got serious about developing radar, and developing
nuclear power, so that we could actually win World War II. But if we don’t
do these things, then this really ends up being a very dark world – no  pun
intended."

And remember the forum on tomorrow....

Alex
O4O4873828