[Peakoil] message from secretary of ACT Peak Oil

Jenny Goldie jenny.goldie at optusnet.com.au
Tue Nov 15 08:11:09 EST 2016

Dear supporters of  ACT Peak Oil

Result of election: At the AGM of ACT Peak Oil last Thursday, the following executive committee was elected:

President: Alex Pollard
Vice-president: Tony Barry
Secretary: Jenny Goldie
Treasurer: Paul Pollard
Committee member: Karin Geiselhart

The constitution allows for three committee members so if there is anyone out there interested in joining the committee, please contact me by return email or mobile 0401 921 453. We would love to have a full committee. We meet every couple of months on a Thursday evening in O'Connor. It's not too boring - we always have interesting discussions!

Possible change of name: At the AGM, we spent some time discussing whether we should change our name. Although conventional oil peaked over ten years ago, unconventional oil is not only maintaining supply but providing a glut which has kept oil prices low for a couple of years. It is suggested that total oil will not peak for another 15 years. Irrespective of how much oil is recoverable, however, is the need to keep much of it in the ground if we are to avoid dangerous climate change. Discussion then ensued about possible names, should we change it, and one that emerged was 'ACT Beyond Oil' though since then one committee member has argued that, with the Trump election and his desire to promote coal, we should be addressing all energy forms and not just oil. Please could we have your thoughts on a) whether we should change our name, and b) what it should be and why. If there is general support for a name change, we will have to have a meeting of members to change the constitution. This could be done in the new year, possibly in February. If there is not support, then we won't, however, it was noted at the AGM that we are not getting traction in the public arena just focussing on peak oil, because people now perceive it as being too far into the future to worry.

To communicate with the mailing list, press reply, though there may be a slight delay as there is a moderator. We look forward to hearing your views.

Jenny Goldie
Secretary
ACT Peak Oil