[Peakoil] History of oil prices

Keith myrmecia at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 17:48:04 EST 2014

On 19 Jun 2014, at 2:51 am, Jenny Goldie <jenny.goldie at optusnet.com.au> wrote:

History of oil prices

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/history-of-oil-prices-2014-6

=======
I was surprised to see oil prices falling during the two world wars. The chart shows only oil prices against the US dollar. But there are other indices that could - and should - be used for comparison: against other currencies, against gold, against coal, against food commodities, against minerals like iron ore, against basic domestic items like a leg of lamb, a pint of milk, a dozen eggs, a daily newspaper.

We really are lacking a sensible and informative means of tracking prices - all major prices - over time.

I would like to see a data base 'basket' of around 50 items (major food commodities [including livestock feed], minerals, energy, major currencies, CBD land prices, average wages, international passenger fares and cargo rates, population etc.) so that we could easily see how any one tracked over any combination of the others.
Keith Thomas
myrmecia at gmail.com
Within UK: 074 2929 4146
(From outside UK: +44 74 2929 4146)