[Peakoil] Article: The shale phenomenon: fabulous miracle with a fatal flaw - CSMonitor.com

Keith Thomas keith at evfit.com
Sun Mar 3 07:55:00 EST 2013

A good review of the shale oil situation in the US. Two stunning extracts:

 Shale gas has created a glut, driving natural gas prices down, saving a typical family hundreds of dollars each year, enabling us to close archaic coal plants, and reinvigorate our fertilizer, petrochemical, and steel industries. .....

Ten percent of the Lower 48 has been leased by oil companies. That’s more acreage than we plant in corn and wheat. Oil and gas extraction is now the dominant land use on the continent.

And yet no mention of the environmental impacts of the shale oil adventure. Americans are lustily destroying their environment in order to continue their comfortable way of living. One day they will realize that having a healthy environment was the foundation of a comfortable way of living.
Keith Thomas
myrmecia at gmail.com
(Australia) 0423 122 681

The shale phenomenon: fabulous miracle with a fatal flaw - CSMonitor.com
http://www.csmonitor.com/Environment/Energy-Voices/2013/0222/The-shale-phenomenon-fabulous-miracle-with-a-fatal-flaw