[Peakoil] Shale gas revolution a major boost for US

W & C Steensby steensby at netspeed.com.au
Fri Jan 4 10:57:04 EST 2013

Chris Martenson has also analysed the shale oil claims and finds them wanting.

He bases his findings on industry data. In brief, shale oil wells initially flow quite well but after the first year they decline at something like 40% annually. This is a huge decline. They cost a lot of money to drill, the necessary capital is not always available, and we need to drill a lot of them. In some areas we need so many of them to make up for the declines that (in my words) the place looks like a pincushion and there's no room to fit in yet another well.

Petroleum geologists have known about shale oil "plays" for decades but the price of conventional crude made shale unaffordable. The best areas are of course being tapped first (Eagleford, Bakken); the PR people are assuming that every other area will be as productive and making claims based on unproven recovery rates.

Regards,
Walter