[Peakoil] Demand for oil to grow 'for decades'

Paul Pollard pollard at netspeed.com.au
Thu Mar 1 00:37:36 UTC 2012

The 'wilful blindness' that Margaret Heffernan describes can also be described
as 'unknown knowns' - the missing combination that Donald Rumsfeld left out.
Following is a letter from me that the Canberra Times published about a year
ago.

Paul

'Adrian Marron, in his article on the CIT (CT 31 January), mentioned Donald
Rumsfeld's famous known knowns, known unknowns, and unknown unknowns. This
piece of homespun philosophising about factors in decision-making will
probably immortalise Rumsfeld.

There is however the fourth combination which Rumsfeld did not mention, the
seemingly contradictory unknown knowns. Yet these could be just as important,
if defined as those factors which we can and should know about, but which we
choose to ignore or wrongly assess.

The Iraq war and Rumsfeld's own assessments provide good examples of this:
ignoring the extreme unlikelihood of Saddam Hussein having deployable weapons
of mass destruction; ignoring the complexity of Iraq society; and the belief
that in such a society you can rapidly build democracy having destroyed key
social institutions. Rumsfeld will also be remembered for his unknown knowns.'