[Peakoil] Molonglo residents moving in - prepare for decades of road congestion

Keith myrmecia at gmail.com
Sat Jun 16 04:59:17 UTC 2012

On 16/06/2012, at 3:16 AM, Alex Pollard wrote:

> ... Last week the Canberra Times carried a story on residents preparing to
> move into the new residential developments in Molonglo. I think It is
> important to note that there is no adequate public transport
> infrastructure ready to cater for these residents.
<snip>
> This ACT Government planning failure dooms Molonglo residents to having to
> use cars to travel around Canberra. It means that a family MUST have two
> cars or be socially isolated. it means that commuters have no choice but
> to drive to work.

Alex,
For three years I used to ride my bike daily from Ainslie down to Weston Creek, crossing Scrivener Dam and going along the southern bank of the Molonglo. At the time my job relocated to Acton, the Molonglo development was well under way and visible to me during my commute. Is that cycle path still operating?

(I am presently in the UK and so can't hop on the bike to find out for myself.)
Keith Thomas
myrmecia at gmail.com
074 2929 4146