[Peakoil] We face a worldwide glut of oi... (blogs.telegraph.co.uk)

Keith myrmecia at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 06:01:31 UTC 2012

On 27/07/2012, at 2:37 AM, Antony Barry wrote:

> We face a worldwide glut of oil, with profound economic
> and geopolitical implications, most of them good – Telegraph Blogs
> http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/finance/jeremywarner/100019176/we-face-
> a-worldwide-glut-of-oil-with-profound-economic-and-geopolitical-implications-
> most-of-them-good/

The comments pasted below the Daily Telegraph article are firing from entrenched positions and include a lot of American trolls intruding themselves into this British website.

As yet, I have not read any balanced review of Maugeri's forecasts - original here:

http://belfercenter.ksg.harvard.edu/files/Oil-%20The%20Next%20Revolution.pdf

However, the Energy Bulletin have published a slew of criticisms which list the stated and unstated assumptions behind Maugeri's conclusions. At this stage it's up to us to work it out for ourselves. If the list of assumptions is correct, then we can dismiss Maugeri's report. Have a look for yourselves here:

http://tinyurl.com/d7ab84s

George Monbiot swallowed Maugeri's report and drew the ghastly conclusions for climate change:

http://www.monbiot.com/2012/07/02/false-summit/

There is a criticism from Kurt Cobb whose name will be familiar to those who've been around the peak oil scene for a decade:

http://tinyurl.com/c2lt737

He raises questions, but - partly because Maugeri's forecast does not specify much of his baseline data nor all his important assumptions - it, too, is largely assertion.

One point to consider at the back of this is that because of the US recession, the petroleum industry there is desperate to attract a lot of investors with a lot of long-term money and a report like this - funded by BP and associated with the Harvard moniker - will do them a lot of good.

Can I suggest that on this list we don't just paste URLs and article titles, but add a bit of critical assessment as well? It's too easy to shoot off URLs, when what we need is a brief review confirming that the sender has read the web page and explaining why we should visit the website and read the linked article ourselves. Possibly include a few key quotations. I know that's more difficult and time consuming, but it's better if the person who found the article and thinks it's important does it than we all go off and do our own thing, wondering what it is we are looking for.

Keith