[Peakoil] Carbon price and Peak Oil

Ruth Cully ludlow at live.com.au
Fri May 20 05:46:02 UTC 2011

In his Canberra talk last year, Professor Kjell Aleklett said that US agriculture used 7 kilojoules of oil energy (or fossil fuel energy) for every kilojoule of food produced. Can anyone confirm this data?

At a recent Australian Academy of Science symposium I quoted these figures to one of the speakers (Dr Tony Fischer) in a question about the impact of peak oil on our agriculture (which he had not mentioned at all in his outlook assessment). Fischer flatly asserted that my figures "must be wrong". If so, I'm happy to accept correction, but Aleklett seemed to be more clued up than this guy.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Ruth