[Peakoil] Butanol as substitute?

Keith Thomas keith at evfit.com
Fri Mar 4 01:12:49 UTC 2011

And I asked a microbiologist for his expert perspective. This is what he wrote:

"Keith
"These are very important and dangerous developments.

"Clearly plants produce sugars from the sun, water and CO2 and different bacteria have evolved different specific enzymes to break down glucose to pyruvic acid and then to a range of different derivative organic compounds. Thus Aerobacter uniquely produces butanene diol, while others produce, alcohol, acetic acid, succinic acid, ketones etc etc.

"We can obviously exploit these organisms and enzymes to make different derivative compounds some of which may have higher energy densities than alcohol or be more suitable as transport fuels. However they still all rely on glucose as the primary substrate and thus its production by photosynthesis and therefore the effectiveness and adverse impacts and sustainability of the farming systems used to produce that sugar substrate.

"What is dangerous is Homo hubris assuming that their needs for transport fuels transcends other biological realities about these organisms, processes and products such as health risks. While methanol and formaldehyde are natural microbially produced products from similar processes the reality is that they are carcinogenic to humans. Butanaol if used in mass has similar if not fully explored human health risks and implications. So before assuming that we can exploit each natural bio-technology and product for our convenience suggest we have to critically examine why and what we are proposing and its full risks.

"So far we have released some 70,000 organic chemicals into our diets and bio-sphere with perhaps 1/1000 having been adequately studied for their full risks and impacts. Given that 1 out of 3 Americans can now expect to get a cancer during their life, rates which are thousands of times greater than natural, when will we learn that we dont run biology or the world and to the micro-organisms that do, we are just substrate."

Keith Thomas
www.evfit.com