[Peakoil] SMH opinion on food security

Trent Smith trentsmith67 at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 1 04:04:59 UTC 2010

Correct - food security is here to stay, even for Australia.

Our agricultural surplus will continue to decline, simply due to expanding domestic consumption, also if modelling is correct also through increasing drought in the "wheat belt".  Some scope exists for tropical products to increase, but limited to intensive horticulture, not broad acre crops.

We will certainly increase our imports - as a rich developed nation, we can afford to do so eg cherries, oranges from US, Pears from China.

There is nothing "wrong" with exporting expensive high quality produce, and then importing cheap food eg that is what we do with seafood, send our quality lobsters, abalone, crabs, prawns to Asia - import farmed prawns from Vietnam, fish (Basra), and keep the "small" inferior lobsters for home consumption eg $16.00 bucks at Woolies for Xmas.

The reality is that it is our dirty coal, iron ore, LNG, and other mineral exports that will pay for our way in the world - not agriculture, now down to less than 10% of our economy in size.

Cheers

Trent