[Peakoil] James Kunstler yesterday + Michael Raupach next Saturday

Keith Thomas keith at evfit.com
Mon Jun 8 20:56:26 UTC 2009

James Kunstler reminds us this week that "The Era of Happy Motoring" is
over - for ever - in the US (see below). The collapse of easy credit,
the deteriorating road infrastructure and the morphing of financial
stress into political resentment and anti-social behaviour mean that
any ideas of continuing Happy Motoring with compressed air cars,
electric cars, hydrogen fuel cells (haven't heard much about them
lately, have we?) is delusional. If you add to all that the equally
important factors Kunstler does not mention: climate change, peak oil,
peak lithium and general overshoot, including population, the
accelerating collapse of antibiotics and the inability of our leaders
to wake up and face these impending realities, expect to see more signs
of permanent change. As Reg Morrison wrote in Plague Species: "Watch
the action without the sound track and this truth becomes obvious."
Consider the signs, not the words - the words describe a virtual
reality - the signs describe - reality.

There's a talk in Canberra next Saturday by Michael Raupach addressing
the biggest knot of problems facing humanity today: human population
growth (a topic fraught with prejudice and suffering from mainstream
reluctance to address it rationally and scientifically and with the
objective seriousness it demands), climate change and our very human
reluctance to do anything effective about either.

Almost all other talks and events fail to bring these three issues
together. Bringing them together is often described as being
"politically incorrect", though that term is inadequate for this
particular challenge.

The Challenge of Climate Change: the roles of human population, human
aspiration and the finite capacity of Planet Earth

Speaker: Dr Michael Raupach, (CSIRO Marine and Atmospheric Research,
Global Carbon Project)