[Peakoil] James Howard Kunstler this week: Electric cars - fergeddaboutit

Keith Thomas keith at evfit.com
Mon Jul 13 20:05:36 UTC 2009

Here is this week's column from James Kunstler.

He explains in two paragraphs why electric cars are simply impossible
as a "solution".

He also says: "agitation seems pretty inchoate for the moment -- still
resting on vague, poorly-defined wishes for "change."  "

But here Kunstler misses the point. People want change, but not for
themselves personally, and certainly not just now. The populace, led on
by the politicians, want the same, but much more of it for themselves.

When I checked there were 57 comments on Kunstler's blog - worth
reading through for a glimpse into the American mind.

Keith Thomas
www.evfit.com
Wobble Time
  By James Howard Kunstler
on July 13, 2009 6:59 AM
http://kunstler.com/blog/2009/07/wobble-time.html#more

     The cat coming out of the bag this week -- a frazzled, flaming,
rabid, death-dealing cat -- is the news that Goldman Sachs will
announce impressive second-quarter profits, and set aside $18 billion
or so for employee bonuses averaging $600,000 per head (though, of
course, not evenly distributed among them).  There probably are not
fifty-three people in the USA who can explain how this development
figures in with last fall's bailout gift from the US treasury, or the
$13 billion GS received on the backside of US gift payments to the
failed AIG insurance company, plus the reams of necrotic securitized
debt paper rotting in the back of the GS vaults. This is a company
playing with the fire of world history.

     It brings back the question, which has loomed dimly at the margins
of America's collective consciousness, as to whether we can get through
the long emergency ahead without going through a wringer of domestic
political convulsion. At this rate, sooner or later, anything
identified with wealth could become a target for the wrath of the
unemployed and foreclosed. The first rock that flies through an East
Hampton window, or the first firebomb tossed into the lobby of Goldman
Sachs Manhattan headquarters could ignite a chain of events that shoves
all economic policy out of the political arena and quickly divides
everyone at the center of power into armies out for blood.

     What the nation -- including President Obama -- can't seem to get
through its head is that the USA has entered a period of epochal
economic contraction.  Instead of growth, as measured in conventional
econometrics, we can only expect (in the best case) transformation to a
different economy within the limits of real contraction. The president
has got to stop promising renewed growth.  While this would affect the
perceived "standard-of-living" as measured in things like shopping mall
sales and vehicle miles driven, it would not necessarily mean
diminished "quality-of-life."  It would mean different ways-of-life for
a lot of people -- for instance, young adults who had expected lifetime
employment as corporate executives but who, instead, find themselves
ten years from now working at farming. We have an awful lot to get real
about.

      A genuine reorganization of the US economy seems beyond the ken
not just of all US politicians but of the entire US news media and
business leadership. A wonderful example last week was the idiotic
press conference by General Motors marketing chief, Bob Lutz, who
thinks he can revive the American Dream with electric cars. (By the
way, this is pretty much the same thinking I encountered at the Aspen
Environmental Forum among the Green celebrities.)

     From a purely practical standpoint, the electric car is absurd.
If they were produced on a mass basis, they would crash the electric
grid -- assuming that the masses could afford to buy them, which
assumes a lot. We simply don't have the electric generating capacity to
run even one-quarter of the current car fleet on volts, and building
the necessary nuclear or coal-fired power plants in five years is also
an absurdity. (Don't expect wind, solar, biomass, or anything else to
pick up the slack.) If electric cars were produced as just a niche
product for the elite (e.g. Goldman Sachs employees), they would soon
provoke the resentment of the non-elite left to the mercy of the oil
markets.

     Anyway, America's motoring dilemma has gone beyond the issue of
how we power the cars -- and even beyond the insanity of blindly
maintaining our extreme car dependency per se.  The continuation of
Happy Motoring now hinges on two other big quandaries: 1. the
likelihood that there will be far less capital available for car loans,
and 2.) the likelihood that there will be far less government money for
road maintenance. The problem of Peak Oil -- and the prospect of
price-jackings and shortages -- is just the cherry on top.

     By the way, for practical purposes Bob Lutz of GM is an employee
of the US taxpayers now, since the US owns 60 percent of the "new"
General Motors, so he must be considered a spokesman for national
policy. Since a transformation of the US car fleet to electric vehicles
is absurd, what would be an appropriate response to profound economic
contraction? How about walkable communities connected by public
transit?  Why is that not a focus of the "new" General Motors?  In 1941
the company made the transformation from cars to armaments in a matter
of months; why can't it produce the rolling stock for a renewed
passenger rail system?  Or trams?  Is this not enough of a crisis? The
answer is that there is no leadership in this direction. If President
Obama declared this to be a policy objective, and stuck to it for more
than one business day, he could drag the sleepwalking American public
in this direction, and the rest of national leadership in government,
business, and media with it.

     This kind of thing is what prompts casual observers to wonder if
the president is a cynical shill for business as usual, or a victim of
the worst conventional thinking with no real vision, or just another
clueless sleepwalking bozo with a charming veneer.

      In circles that pass for "progressive" these days, the natives
are getting restless. Their agitation seems pretty inchoate for the
moment -- still resting on vague, poorly-defined wishes for "change."
These vague promptings need to be focused on specific action that is
realistic within the context of comprehensive contraction and
transformation.  A big piece of this would be the recognition that our
suburban sprawl economy is dying, and that we now have to bend our
efforts to reorganizing American life on the most fundamental physical
terms.  We have to inhabit the landscape differently, move around it
differently, generate food out of it differently, and make things on it
again.  Whatever remaining real capital there is in the system can't be
squandered on cash bonuses for Wall Street employees.

       I'm not ready to capitulate to cynicism. There is something in
the political wind this summer. I think events will force Mr. Obama to
assert some real leadership and take the national debate on our
predicament in another direction, even if it is an uncomfortable
direction for him and everybody else. Despite the massive
disappointment being expressed by so many Obama voters these days, I
believe the president will redeem himself before long.

     Attorney General Eric Holder announced over the weekend that he
will commence an investigation into the Bush regime's misconduct with
terrorism suspects.  His department is capable of running more than one
investigation at a time. Why doesn't President Obama direct him to open
an investigation of Goldman Sachs's behavior in the area of securities
fraud, insider trading, and misuse of government funds?  Without an
official inquiry into financial misconduct of this company, and others,
I believe public anger will overwhelm any attempts to transform our
contracting economy and the president's ability to manage it.