[Peakoil] Fwd: Oil price flirts with new high

Nature and Society Forum office at natsoc.org.au
Wed May 21 00:38:02 UTC 2008

And overnight in the US it reached $US 129.61.

Here's a reminder of the talk tonight on peak oil, facing the future,
children, denial and ignorance. This is about coming to grips with the
problems facing us and not just sitting there, caught in the
headlights. Please pass on this invitation to your friends and
acquaintances.

===================
Wednesday 21 May 2008 – 7:30 pm – Paul Tranter's talk is "A monster
problem or child’s play: coping with peak oil".

Two major problems are associated with our ability to cope with peak
oil: ignorance and denial. This presentation argues that a critique of
a popular children’s movie may provide an entertaining way of
introducing people to the serious issues of peak oil, children’s
rights and child friendly cities. The Pixar-animated Disney movie
Monsters, Inc., released in 2001, is popular with both adults and
children, and sales of DVDs indicates that it is still a favourite
movie. Monsters, Inc. can be seen as an allegory about changing
conceptualisations of children, an emerging energy crisis, and our
of the movie suggests that a technological fix will be found for the
world’s looming energy crisis: peak oil. A more detailed critical
analysis of the movie suggests that there are far more important
messages hidden beneath this humorous children’s story. This
presentation explores the likely impact of peak oil on children’s well-
being, and argues that while peak oil may present a crisis for
children’s rights, it can also be seen as providing an opportunity, if
we can only see peak oil coming and think about how we can change our
cities now to prepare for it. A reflection on messages from Monsters
Inc. suggests that coping with peak oil may well require the sort of
creativity and openness to new ways of thinking that children exhibit
in their play. In the real world, by taking a child’s perspective, and
by making our cities more child-friendly, we will also prepare our
cities for the challenges of peak oil.

Paul is at the School of Physical, Environmental and Mathematical
Sciences, University of New South Wales, Australian Defence Force
Academy, Canberra. Those NSF members who were inspired by Paul’s talk
two years ago on child-friendly cities are delighted to welcome him
back.

Please pass on this invitation to your friends and acquaintances.

Venue: the ANU Emeritus Faculty. A map showing the venue can be found
on the ANU website:

http://campusmap.anu.edu.au/displaymap.asp?grid=cd32

The building is called the Fellows Lane Cottage and is building 3T on
this map. It is to the immediate north of the Law Faculty buildings
and east of the South Oval.
Keith Thomas
Nature and Society Forum
www.natsoc.org.au --- www.biosensitivefutures.org
02-6125 2526 (weekday mornings) Mobile: 0412 487 625