[Peakoil] Paradigm of peak oil activism?

Alex Pollard alex-po at trevbus.org
Sun May 11 23:07:38 UTC 2008

Hi Andrew,

A peak oil transition plan is something we should develop.

As for how successful we would be in getting it implemented...

ACT Peak Oil will be having a Special General Meeting in June, probably
Wednesday the 18th. Everyone is welcome to come along and join. I would like
to have a discussion leading up to and at that meeting to work out what it
is we should be doing.

Cheers,

Alex
O4O4873828

President
ACT Peak Oil Inc.
http://act-peakoil.org

On Fri, 9 May 2008 07:06:38 +1000, "Andrew Wynberg" <awynberg at vtown.com.au>
wrote :

> Hello list
>
> Last time I asked if there was a peak oil plan for Canberra.
>
> I received three responses, which I briefly summarise as:
> 1. You've got to be joking, there's no plan.  There's lots of experts and
expertise locally.
> 2. I'll ask a local expert
> 3. Queensland did an oil vulnerability report in 2006, and is now
developing strategy to solve the vulnerabilities.

> My next question is about the paradigm of the local peak oil activist
community for getting things done.  I ask this question out of ignorance, an
understanding based only on three emails I have received, and some website
exploring.  I have no desire to offend people, and apologise in advance if I
do offend people.

> It appears to me that the role of the activist in the ACT is to raise
awareness in the public, which then call on the government to do something.
 The activists will make submissions to government and Senate inquiries,
hold protests, wave placards and write letters to the editor.

> Is this the paradigm used by Canberra peak oil activists and experts -
raise awareness to the point where the Government will do something?