[Peakoil] Paradigm of peak oil activism?

Keith Thomas keith at evfit.com
Sun May 11 05:28:24 UTC 2008

I can speak only for myself, Andrew, but I can say I have seen no
evidence that you'll offend anyone on this list by being a bit
proactive. Perhaps we're just a bit jaded.

Peak oil is of interest to me mainly because of how people react. And
how they react will depend on a lot of other pressures that are
impinging on them at the time. At the simplest level, people who find
the price of petrol putting them under financial stress may not be free
to economize as the elasticities in their budget and life will vary.
Some will not be able to reduce petrol use because of their job (and
they need to continue in that job to pay off the mortgage). Others will
be able to reduce petrol purchases easily, because much travel is
discretionary or because they do not have family commitments.

At the societal level it gets far more interesting. It looks as if the
US is heading in to a recession. In Australia we talk of the "minerals
boom", but if we took Qld and WA out of the Australian aggregate, then
we'd find some of the remaining states are already in recession. So
rising fuel prices at a time of rising interest rates, rises in net
unemployment, wage constraint (in some states), rising food,
electricity and water prices are going to cause some people to
transform their lives. It might mean having to sell up; it might lead
to domestic disputes or violence, resort to drugs and end in
divorce/separation or worse. PO could contribute to any of these. It'll
be a combination and so too hard to attribute a single cause.

About three years ago I wrote this two-pager on PO in Australia:

http://www.natsoc.org.au/pdf/05_12_22%20Peak%20oil%20sheet.pdf

and published it six months later. Things have not really changed and
the history of the human species is that we don't act until we
absolutely have to. There are millions of PO activists around the world
and have been for years, but governments have done virtually nothing.
There have been a few enquiries, a few acknowledgements but nothing
else. Don't expect that to change. Find a comfortable seat, Andrew,
well out of the way of the main action, and watch it all unfold. But
save your energy so far as petitions, placards and protests are
concerned. Do what you need to do about the fourth "P": Preparations.
Prepare as best you can for irreversible changes in the way society
operates. Don't bother preparing as if you will be dealing with
temporary shortages, an occasional blackout, etc.; just remain alert so
you don't act like the proverbial frog in the saucepan. That is, be
aware of the difference between hiccups and permanent shifts. So, don't
simply stock up with food - prepare as if the food/toilet
paper/pharmaceutuicals/etc. you won't be able to buy in a shortage will
NEVER be available on the same terms.

And just hope that peak oil, the next drought, economic recession,
rising food prices, lifestyle illnesses and climate change don't hit at
the same time as the next major flu pandemic.
Keith Thomas
www.evfit.com