[Peakoil] Dmitry Orlov's book "Reinventing Collapse"

Nature and Society Forum office at natsoc.org.au
Wed Jun 18 02:04:21 UTC 2008

I have just completed Dmitry Orlov's book "Reinventing Collapse". It's
broadly a comparison between the Soviet collapse of the late 1980s/
early 1990s and the situation in the USA today which - he convincingly
argues - is on the verge of its own unique collapse.

I highly recommend the book. Orlov's wry, mordant wit and his unusual
but perceptive view will give every reader a number of insights/
implications they have never thought of before. The setting is
primarily peak oil, but it also weaves in a number of social issues
(health, military, education, crime, surviving depression) as well as
climate change.

Orlov does not expect a sudden collapse. He sees a gradual unravelling
and the establishment over time of new ways of doing things in
America. He specifically does not see the USA after his collapse as
looking anything like the Russia of today.

Jump on the Amazon site and order a copy today.
Keith Thomas
Nature and Society Forum
www.natsoc.org.au --- www.biosensitivefutures.org
02-6125 2526 (weekday mornings) Mobile: 0412 487 625