[Peakoil] What an oversight!

Keith Thomas keith at evfit.com
Mon Jun 9 11:46:14 UTC 2008

What an oversight! See what's missing in the Barrons article below?

1. Oil is to rise in price to $150 - 200 a barrel

2. This will "permanently shrink demand"

3. Oil price will fall to $75 a barrel.

What's missing is hidden by the euphemistic wording of step 2: what
happens to permanently shrink demand? Would this be because we all
switch to Priuses - or a 3-4 billion dieoff - or (use your
imagination)?
==============

Goldman Oil Bull Speaks: Yes, Oil Still Going to $150-$200 A Barrel,
Gas to $4-$6
Henry Blodget, ClusterStock
http://online.barrons.com/article/SB121279317214553377.html?
mod=9_0031_b_this_weeks_magazine_main&page=sp

The man who predicted the current oil "super-spike," Goldman's Arjun
Murti, is smart enough not to let himself get photographed (in some
idiot circles, Arjun is blamed for today's $138 a barrel), but he did
consent to a long interview with Barron's this week. Bottom line,
Murti's thesis that oil will spike to $150-$200 a barrel is perfectly
reasonable. As is his belief that prices will thereafter crash.

Key points:

     * Unlike the 1970's oil spike, which was the result of a supply
crunch (oil taken off the market), this move is demand driven: demand
is increasing, supply isn't. Economics 101.
     * This is a spike, not a permanent move to $150-$200. At some
point, probably soon, oil will reach a level that will severely crimp
demand (translation: economies will collapse). At that point, prices
will fall.
     * US demand is falling, but, so far, emerging market and other
international demand has remained strong.
     * Oil will keep going up until demand shrinks. Increased supply
won't save us.
     * $150-$200 oil means $4-$6 gas.
     * As long as $150-$200 oil permanently shrinks demand, oil prices
will then drop to $75 a barrel

... [Murti] On the supply side, we don't subscribe to the peak-oil
view. We don't think the world has run out of oil. We do think that the
places that have large quantities of recoverable oil, notably Saudi
Arabia, Iraq, Iran, Venezuela and Russia, aren't on track to grow their
supply aggressively. It is growing at a very moderate rate, and so the
remaining oil resources are concentrated. And, to some degree, high
prices are disincentivizing some of these countries to either open up
their industry or spend the money themselves.
Keith Thomas
www.evfit.com