[Peakoil] Food Matters Workshop (Alex Pollard)

Ben Davies ben.davies at anu.edu.au
Thu Aug 28 00:38:11 UTC 2008

Hi all,

Related to the food footprint + waste front:

The ANU ran a tour of the Canberra Tip yesterday. According the the tour guide, the dump will reach full capacity in a mere 6 years time. Compared to 30 years ago, there is now an artificial hill of rubbish and dirt (methane gas is tapped as an energy source). Short of building a new dump somewhere in the ACT, I can imagine a short term solution (ala Sydney) and dumping rubbish in the Woodlawn mine site:
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/08/01/1091298577063.html

Naturally you've got transport energy use, emissions etc from having to drag tons of waste the 75km or so to the mine site:
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=d&saddr=canberra&daddr=-35.064779,149.572592&hl=en&geocode=&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=1&sz=14&sll=-35.077634,149.588127&sspn=0.050714,0.105658&ie=UTF8&ll=-35.201306,149.37973&spn=0.405099,0.616608&z=11

A little food for thought...

Ben