[Peakoil] FW: NRDC's Earth Action, 4/29/08

Roland Miller McCall rolandmccall at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 29 15:51:09 UTC 2008

Looks like the Americans are getting increasingly desperate and turning to more
drastic alternatives such as liquid coal. > --Action Alert--> > Tell your representative not to reverse important protections> against dirty fuels (and then watch our new video about liquid> coal)>> Action Alert> > > The 2007 energy bill includes a provision that prevents federal> agencies from contracting to purchase liquid coal and other> "dirty fuels," such as tar sands and oil shale, that produce> more global warming pollution than conventional gasoline. But> now dirty fuel supporters in Congress have introduced> legislation that would repeal this important provision that will> help fight global warming, and energy companies are poised to> market dirty fuels to the government at the first opportunity.> The Air Force, for instance, is already pushing for a new liquid> coal plant on its Malmstrom base in Montana.> > Liquid coal produces twice the global warming pollution of> conventional gasoline. Relying on liquid coal fuel also would> increase the harmful effects of coal mining, which means more> mining in the Rockies and more mountaintop removal mining in> Appalachia. Investing in liquid coal is also financially> unsound: while even under the most optimistic scenarios liquid> coal could replace no more than 10 percent of our oil use, these> plants would cost over four billion dollars each to build.> > == What to do ==> Send a message urging your representative to oppose and vote No> on H.R. 5656 or on any other legislation that seeks to repeal> the dirty fuels provision of Section 526 of the 2007 energy> bill.> > == Contact information ==> You can send a message to your representative directly from> NRDC's Action Center at> http://www.nrdconline.org/campaign/nrdcaction_042508> If you prefer to call your representative, the Capitol> switchboard number is 202-224-3121.> > And speaking of liquid coal-> > NRDC has produced the film "Crude Substitute: The Folly of> Liquid Coal," about the dangerous implications of liquid coal on> our economy, our communities and our environment. You can watch> "Crude Substitute" (and learn more about liquid coal and other> dirty fuels) by going to> http://www.nrdc.org/energy/dirtyfuels.asp> > ==========> About NRDC> ==========> > The Natural Resources Defense Council is a nonprofit> environmental organization with 1.2 million members and online> activists, and a staff of scientists, attorneys and> environmental experts. Our mission is to protect the planet's> wildlife and wild places and ensure a safe and healthy> environment for all living things. > > For more information about NRDC or how to become a member of> NRDC, please contact us at:> > Natural Resources Defense Council> 40 West 20th Street> New York, NY 10011> 212-727-4511 (voice) / 212-727-1773 (fax) > Email: nrdcaction at nrdc.org> http://www.nrdc.org> > Also visit:> BioGems -- Saving Endangered Wild Places> A project of the Natural Resources Defense Council> http://www.savebiogems.org> > ===========> To update your email address or other information, visit your> subscription management page at http://www.nrdconline.org/nrdc/smp.tcl?nkey=ink7bg64a7ni73bn&. To unsubscribe from> Earth Action, reply to this message with "remove" or> "unsubscribe" in the subject line.> > > >
Are you paid what you're worth? Find out: SEEK Salary Centre
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fninemsn%2Eseek%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fcareer%2Dresources%2Fsalary%2Dcentre%2F%3Ftracking%3Dsk%3Ahet%3Asc%3Anine%3A0%3Ahot%3Atext&_t=764565661&_r=OCT07_endtext_salary&_m=EXT