[Peakoil] David Holmgren reflects on the 2020 summit

Alex Pollard alex-po at trevbus.org
Sun Apr 13 01:05:49 UTC 2008

Permaculture co-founder David Holmgren reflecting on the 2020 summit.

------------- Forwarded message follows -------------

A note from David Holmgren re 20/20

Subject: [Pil-pc-oceania] 2020 Reflections
To: pil-pc-oceania at lists.permacultureinternational.org

Following APC9 there has been much discussion on the listserve about
the divergent opportunities for permaculture activism in Australia
including comments about the absence of permaculture from the Rudd
government's 2020 forum. I did (briefly) consider applying to join
the 2020 forum but was so disgusted with the way the questions were
framed (ie assuming continued economic growth, increasing
technological complexity etc were inevitable for Australia and the
world) that I decided that I wouldn't be bothering to apply although
I can remember thinking I might be convinced if invited (maybe  this
is an elitist perspective that doesn't help maximise power and
influence but it is one that I use to help filter and limit the
escalating demands to something that is personally sustainable.)  My
scepticism was reinforced by Michael Lardelli's opinion piece about
the absence of Peak Oil from the agenda (reported on Energy Bulletin
http://www.energybulletin.net/42630.html ). All the more so that all
10 members of Association for the Study of Peak Oil that applied to
be at the forum were rejected. As far as I know there is no leading
permaculture teacher, designer or activist is at the forum either.
Finally any discussion of Peak Oil as a "problem", or Permaculture as
a "solution" would be forced down into the "getto" of the
Sustainability and Climate Change subject  when Peak Oil (like
Climate Change) is central to framing the agenda within which all of
the other questions must be addressed and the second is relevant to
designing adaptive strategies in relation to all the questions.

In comparing the absence of ASPO and Permaculture,
ASPO http://www.aspo-australia.org.au/
  is a relatively new organisation that has focused a lot on media and
public policy (ie predominantly top down information and change) The
number and quality of submissions to the Senate inquiry into Future
Fuel Security in Australia is an example of ASPO's action. It has
contributed to the fact that all Australian politician cannot deny
knowing about the evidence for imminent peak oil and the absence of
any serious planning. On the other hand ASPO is a small organisation
with not much influence or history. Maybe it could easily be ignored
by the 2020 gate keepers.

Permaculture is a concept that predates the other sustainability
concepts, is a national and international movement, with tens if not
hundreds of thousands of practictioners, teachers, designers and
activists on all continents. As a subset of the environment movement
it is unusual in being almost completely solution oriented but not
focused with mainstream corporate or householder sustainability.
Apart from Permaculture and related networks, most radical grass
roots environmental activism, is oppositional, trying to stop the
world we don't wont rather than create the world we do want. On the
other hand, imagining the perspective of the 2020 gatekeepers,
permaculture lacks a coherent voice or a focus on public policy. Even
allowing for these limitations, its amazing that permaculture's 30
year track record as a positive future focused movement, with a brand
identity in Australia that makes it almost a household word, that its
not represented at 2020. Perhaps that reflects the baggage and
negatives that some people associate with permaculture and our own
assumption that we are not part of mainstream society and therefore
would not bother to be part of it.

Just some thoughts without any particular agenda about what "we"
should do other than to say that I feel the new energy behind PIL
that emerged at APC9 suggests the possibility of an organisation
emerging  that could speak in some sort of representative way at the
national level through position papers, policies and media releases
that speak the language of government. It seem odd to me that I came
away with more confidence about these possibilities when APC9, for
all its fantastic aspects (many thanks to all those involved), did
not appear to produce any concrete outcomes, even when and where the
next event would be.

Leaving aside the big picture perspective for the personal; I was
dobbed in for the local Ballarat 2020 forum in the group considering
Australia's Future In The World. I went along out of curiosity and
was surprised that there were no hard line security or defense
perspectives and lots of justice and sustainability perspectives as
well as voluntary simplicity and personal change attitudes on these
issues. My energy descent future scenarios (see
http://www.futurescenarios.org/) were received with interest within
the group. I came away wondering whether this "Labour Party" event
had attracted a very limited slice of Australian society or whether
the mainstream media just refuse to reflect the concerns,
perspectives and understandings of Australians that conflict with
consensus reality generated from the top via corporations, media and
government. Probably a bit of both.

David Holmgren