[Peakoil] Movie: "What a Way to Go - Life at the End of Empire"

Keith Thomas keith at evfit.com
Sun Sep 2 20:31:45 UTC 2007

Back in March I posted here advance notice of the movie "What a Way to
Go - Life at the End of Empire". I have now seen the movie and written
a review for the Nature and Society Forum website. We have provided
space there for the comments of other viewers, so if you have comments
after seeing it, please send them to us and we'll add them to our site:
http://www.natsoc.org.au/html/movie_what_a_way.htm

Review: Today I watched the newly-released 2-hour movie “What a Way to
Go”. From a long list of emerging crises, it focuses on human
population overshoot, climate change, peak oil and mass extinction.

In dealing with these biophysical problems, it addresses the trajectory
of human culture since the rise of agriculture in the context of our
human nature, the two factors that have brought us to our present
situation. And in doing this it asks the questions that repel most
Americans, questioning and breaking the breaking the culture of
silence. As such it confronts these systemic problems in a way that
parallels the approach of Nature and Society Forum.

Derrick Jensen, Daniel Quinn (quotations from both of whom have
appeared in our journal), William Catton (whose book was reviewed in
our journal), Richard Heinberg (whose books and movie appearances you
will have seen), Thomas Berry (at 93), Chellis Glendinning, Richard
Manning (Against the Grain) and Jerry Mander feature throughout and a
host of others add their own perspectives to the first comprehensive
look at the problems occurring now. All these are white Americans, but
that’s not inappropriate. Derrick Jensen sums up the first half of the
movie: “Forests precede us and deserts dog our heels”.

Woven in between these scholars and thinkers are the views of ordinary
people who are beginning to grasp the human place in nature and the
scope and scale of the problems. Doing this puts us in the movie.

The movie deliberately eschews a “happy chapter ending”, and tells us
what we must do to make the future liveable and to mitigate the most
serious possibilities. These measures are simple, and we don’t really
need this movie to remind us of them. What we do need - constantly - is
the personal reminder from Dmitry Orlov who asks “Are we going to
continue destroying the planet, just to be somewhat more comfortable
for a little while?” That is, the solutions are not waiting on
scientists to refine technologies they are political in the broad sense
of the term. Others tell us, starkly, that the situation is unique in
human history and that there is no one out there looking after us, thus
faith in ‘technofixes’ is delusional thinking.

The documentary's weaknesses are its heavy use ironic of 1950s popular
culture images and the loss of rigour you would expect when
popularizers are interviewed for soundbites. The corny 1950s images can
divert from us the more subtle and pervasive messages embedded in our
culture today. The importance of the popularizers' contributions can be
overlooked if we take the advice at the beginning of the movie: to "let
it wash over you". These contributions deserve a second or third
viewing and should lead viewers to read the authors' books where their
arguments are fleshed out with rigour and coherence. Jerry Mander warns
us in the movie about the limitations of audio-visual media, but his
warning is fleeting: only those who have read his first book can
understand what he is really getting at. But let’s not quibble. The
movie's scope is impressive - greater than "An Inconvenient Truth" or
"Crude Awakening" and it's totally celebrity-free. Despite its
uncompromising challenges to viewers, I predict it will quickly acquire
"cult status" because of its power to change lives and to motivate
people to change events and that we’ll be hearing a lot about it over
the coming years.

  Two detailed reviews of the movie are here:

http://www.atlanticfreepress.com/content/view/1072/81/

http://www.culturechange.org/cms/index.php?
option=com_content&task=view&id=112&Itemid=1

  The DVD is available here:

http://www.whatawaytogomovie.com/purchase-the-dvd/
  Our copy of the DVD cost $US 24.00 and postage cost $US 12.50 coming
to a total of $US 36.50. This converted to $AU 43.85 early August 2007.
Keith Thomas
www.evfit.com