[Peakoil] Coalition prefers income tax cuts over excise cuts

Alex Pollard alex-po at trevbus.org
Mon Oct 15 06:42:09 UTC 2007

Hi folks,

The Coalition has pretty much ruled out petrol excise cuts. Although both
sides of politics have steered well clear of such a retrograde policy I
thought it could still make a come-back in an election campaign. However
Howard has said in relation to the income tax cuts proposed today:

"Isn't it better to do this, rather than to fiddle with the excise on
petrol which can be wiped out with some kind of variation in the world
price of crude oil?"

"The infinitely fairer, economically more responsible way of dealing with
cost of living pressures is to actually give to the average taxpayer the
wherewithal to deal with the pressures in the way that he or she thinks fit.

"Not for the Government to say 'We think that pressure is worth relieving,
but that pressure over there is not deserving of relief.' "

Looks like we will not have a cheap fuel auction at the election, which is
good.

Full article here

http://www.smh.com.au/news/economy/pledge-to-cut-
tax/2007/10/15/1192300657771.html?page=fullpage

Alex
O4O4873828

ACT Peak Oil
http://act-peakoil.org