[Peakoil] Review of coming movie "What a way to go"

Keith Thomas keith at evfit.com
Mon Mar 5 21:49:44 EST 2007

Here's a movie that looks like being the best broad coverage of peak
oil and its fellow horsemen of the apocalypse.

There is a trailer of the movie at this page:
http://www.atlanticfreepress.com/content/view/1072/81/

WHAT A WAY TO GO: LIFE AT THE END OF EMPIRE February 28, 2007

A REVIEW OF THE DOCUMENTARY "What A Way To Go: Life At The End Of
Empire", by Tim Bennett and Sally Erickson
http://www.atlanticfreepress.com/content/view/1072/81/

I didn't say it would be easy; I just said it would be the truth.

Morpheus, from "The Matrix"

If anything is not easy to watch but absolutely the truth down to one's
toenails, it is Tim Bennett's and Sally Erickson's doggedly transparent
documentary, "What A Way To Go: Life At The End Of Empire." Nothing
less than a 123-minute cat scan of the planet and its twenty-first
century human and non-human condition, this documentary is indeed, "in
your face" but with reverence, poignancy and solemnity yet sending
world-class denial artists running to re-watch "Little Miss Sunshine"
another one hundred times. While viewing it, I could see in my mind
Carl Jung puffing on his pipe and pensively whispering under his
breath, "Human beings can only handle so much truth."

Divided into four parts, Waking On The Train, The Train And The Tracks,
Locomotive Power, and Walkabout, the film begins with Tim Bennett's
personal saga of awakening in the eighties from lifelong slumber.
Recounting the realities he has subsequently discovered is a tedious
litany of human and planetary horrors that only those ready to awaken
with him are likely to endure. To their credit, Bennett and Erickson
offer no "happy ending chapter" at the end—no list of quick and
painless fixes. Nothing about the world humans have created in the past
several thousand years is painless, and nothing they might contemplate
doing to remediate it could ever be quick. "What A Way To Go" is
nothing less than two physicians presenting a diagnosis of terminal
cancer to a patient who currently feels and looks "just fine". Still
another metaphor might be the one that Bennett and Erickson present in
the documentary's first chapter, namely, that of a suicidal individual
standing on a ledge at the top of a very tall building, contemplating
jumping to his death. It is an image to which the filmmakers return
several times as the film progresses.

The issue of denial is addressed head-on as the documentary's numerous
interviewees name it and its consequences. Those individuals include:
Thomas Berry, Richard Manning, Stuart Pimm, Ran Prieur, Paul Roberts,
William Schlesinger, Richard Heinberg, Chellis Glendinning, Derrick
Jensen, Jerry Mander, and Sally Erickson. Specifically, Derrick Jensen
speaks of the energy that it takes to remain in denial, and how humans
who stop clinging to it discover that as a result, an enormous amount
of energy is freed up to do whatever work the planet's terminal state
calls them to do.

"What A Way To Go" names Peak Oil, climate change, mass extinction, and
population overshoot, as the four pivotal and daunting challenges that
humans must address and resolve if any species are to remain on planet
earth. Equally terrifying, in my opinion, are two symptomatic offshoots
of these four: nuclear holocaust and global economic meltdown.

So how do humans—that species which unlike all the others, is in the
process of rendering earth uninhabitable—reverse the nightmare we have
created? While for many of us, it may seem like a no-brainer, Bennett
and Erickson emphasize that unless the issues are unveiled and talked
about, no hope for solution exists. Given the documentary's unrelenting
reminders of the lethal trajectory to which the human race has
committed itself, the filmmakers' insistence on breaking one's own
denial system is a crucial first step to all others.

As an historian I particularly appreciate Sally Erickson's assertion in
the film that in order to begin addressing the issues, we must develop
a historical perspective and understand how we arrived at this point in
human history. This is exactly what I have attempted to do in my
recently-published book U.S. HISTORY UNCENSORED: What Your High School
Textbook Didn't Tell You. Americans in particular are loath to
investigate causes and prefer to hastily "move on" to solutions;
however, without understanding causes, it is impossible to construct
viable solutions.

Especially validating for me was the perspective this documentary lends
to the issue of Peak Oil in relation to climate chaos. While experts on
hydrocarbon energy such as Richard Heinberg leave no doubt in the
viewer's mind that Peak Oil is a frightening reality, those same
experts, including Heinberg, acknowledge the gargantuan climate change
monster that could surpass Peak Oil not only in its consequences but
how quickly those consequences manifest the collapse of civilization
and make the planet uninhabitable.
As for the tiresome "technofix" argument—you know, the one that says
that because humans are the superior specie and have created such
highly sophisticated civilizations, we will ultimately invent
technology that will adequately reverse the "Big Four" pivotal
challenges, Daniel Quinn, author of Ishmael and The Tales Of Adam,
compares humans living in developed countries to people living in very
tall brick buildings who every day go to the bottom of their building
and remove 200 bricks and bring them to the top of the building.
Obviously, such ludicrous behavior is unsustainable and will inevitably
result in the demise of the building's foundation and its collapse.

Ultimately, "What A Way To Go" meanders into the root causes of our
planetary nightmare: our disconnection from ourselves, each other, and
the earth; the cultural stories that have been forgotten and replaced
with newer, self-destructive ones about growth, domination, and hubris;
the systems we have created and the addictions that feed those systems,
and of course, our denial.

In Part Four, "Walkabout", we are given not hope, but the challenge of
creating options, the first being, the decision to grow up, forsake our
denial, and become adults. Richard Heinberg reminds us that, "We have
been so infantilized by civilization that we can no longer survive
without it. As all of this starts to shift and change and disintegrate
and collapse there's the opportunity, in fact, to come back to
ourselves. To grow up, fundamentally, as people and as a culture."

Both Erickson and Bennett have incorporated their own children into the
documentary with brief comments from Erickson's daughter and Bennett's
son. Erickson herself states that in terms of future generations, "I
think they're going to look back and shake their heads and say, `What
happened to those people? How did they lose sight of such basic
things.'?"

Earlier I used the analogy of two physicians announcing to a patient
that she/he has terminal cancer, and it is appropriate here to ponder
what cancer actually is, namely, the growth of cells out of control,
thus the more archaic reference to a cancer as a "growth." Growth has
become for Western civilization a cancer that is destroying its
inhabitants, the ecosystems, all other forms of life on earth and the
planet itself. Or as the author, William Kotke notes, "Civilization is
a mental/material world of culturally transmitted illusion." Growth
must cease, and it will cease, whether we choose to participate in that
process or whether we don't. Civilization will collapse, and that
collapse offers opportunity as well as crisis. It may occur suddenly,
or it may transpire as the economies and infrastructures of developed
nations are hollowed out over time.

Appropriately, Bennett and Erickson have chosen the subtitle, "Life At
The End Of Empire." In his recent book Nemesis, historian Chalmers
Johnson notes that an empire and a democratic republic are inimical to
each other. Where one exists, the other cannot. If a nation chooses
empire, its democratic republic will dissolve and ultimately perish.
Should it choose to retain democratic republic, it must forsake empire;
it cannot have both. The United States has chosen empire, and its
citizens are allowing the shredding of its Bill of Rights and the
evisceration of its civil liberties. All empires inevitably collapse,
and everyone reading these words is living that collapse in this
moment.

At this writing, world financial markets are reeling from yesterday's
sell-off bloodbath in China and Europe. The day before, a U.S.
government auditor warned that U.S. debt to other nations is spiraling
out of control. Virtually every project of Western civilization is
unsustainable, especially its debt. An equally frightening but
enormously important documentary that every thinking American must see
is "In Debt We Trust" which illumines another locomotive out of
control, imminently headed for a bottomless chasm. While I don't wish
to prognosticate that this week's plunge of financial markets is the
beginning of that economic train wreck, I know that the centralized
financial systems which manage the United States government are
behaving like the individuals mentioned above who carry the bricks from
the bottom of their building to the top of it, leaving the foundation
in peril of collapse. The fundamental difference is that when the
American people behave in such a manner, they remain in the building
and will be victimized by the collapse, whereas members of centralized
financial systems have helicopters waiting at the top of their
buildings which allow them to abscond with the bricks, turn them into
gold, and deposit them offshore.

While no one wishes to jump off the ledge like the one on which the man
at the beginning of "What A Way To Go" has perched himself, there is a
sense in which all of us must either jump or have something far more
momentous than our physical existence annihilated. The documentary
quotes Andre Gide:

One does not discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the
shore for a very long time.

In the final moments of the documentary, Bennett offers an invitation
to the viewer: "Let's jump off the train and build a boat…a lifeboat,
an ark, a galleon of adventure and imagination destined for unknown
lands. Build it now. The ice is melting. The waters are rising. We're
going to have to let go of the shore."

Bennett concludes the documentary by stating that he doesn't know if he
will survive the collapse but that he is committed to showing up in the
world and telling his truth. It's almost as if his physical survival is
much less urgent than that commitment—in which case, I must concur with
his and Erickson's message: What a way to go!

Keith Thomas
www.evfit.com