[Peakoil] Tour d'horizon of peak oil, area-by-area

Keith Thomas keith at evfit.com
Wed Jun 27 22:29:43 EST 2007

The following is a post on a Yahoo group which was written in response
to a challenge from another group member (Richard) who happens to work
for BP.

I am posting it here because it purports to give a snapshot of where
all the major oil producing areas are with respect to their peaks with
the bonus of a bit of geopolitical background thrown in.
Begin forwarded message:

  Re: Mortgage doom soon, or doom posponed?
Posted by: "Ron"

  Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:56 am (PST)
  Richard, I realize that as far as so-called “proven reserves” go, the
EIA and the IEA are just as culpable as BP. They all use data supplied
by the producing nations and guess at “yet to be discovered” data.

  That being said, I have examined production data and decided that the
EIA is by far the most reliable. The EIA uses data from the IEA and
also from BP and everyone else that can supply them data. But the IEA
revises data for the previous month and that is about it. The EIA
revises data as far back as necessary in an effort to make the data
more accurate. For instance, just last month the EIA revised the data
for Kazakhstan, every month, all the way back to January of 2005. As
more reliable data becomes available, the EIA makes that data available
to us. And that is month by month data. That alone makes the EIA more
accurate than anyone else.

  Now I don’t follow BP that close because I have searched for nation by
nation monthly production data from BP and have been unable to come up
with that data. But looking at the EIA data I can tell you how much
crude oil Oman, Denmark, or anyone else for that matter, produced in
January of 2001, or any other month going back over six years. I cannot
do that with BP or the IEA. So one reason the EIA is more accurate is
that they just produce more data. No data at all is certainly not
accurate data.

  And now for your other question, why do I say oil has peaked? Well
peak is peak and no matter whose data you are using, the peak will be
the peak.

  World oil production peaked in 2005 with an average of C+C production
of 73.791 million barrels per day. So far this year we are averaging
73.293 million barrels per day. The peak month was May of 2005 with
74.272 million barrels per day. In March the world produced 73.358
mb/d. So you can see the trend is clearly down. (A month by month graph
shows it even more clearly.) But how do I know the trend will not turn
up next month or next year.

  I have examined the oil production data from each nation and have
discovered about 24 nations have peaked, another 5 or 6 are very near
their peak and only and about 8 or 9 have clearly not peaked. That is
of the 38 national divisions reported by the EIA. All the other very
tiny producers are covered under “other”.

  OPEC peaked in September of 2005, a full 14 months before they decided
to implement cuts. I think OPEC has clearly peaked. Saudi Arabia has
peaked, so has Venezuela, Iran, Libya, Indonesia, and most likely
Kuwait. Only Angola, the U.A.E., Nigeria, and Iraq have not peaked of
the OPEC nations. And there is some question of how much more oil the
U.A.E. can produce.

  Russia is at or very near her peak. Russian production is down about
200,000 barrels per day from March to May. She may increase a minor
amount but not enough to amount to much. Russia, recovering from the
collapse of the Soviet Union, has been the only thing that has kept
peak oil from becoming obvious to the world. Since May of 2005, three
nations, Russia, Azerbaijan and Angola have increased their combined
production by 1.514 million barrels per day. The rest of the world
combined has declined by 2.436 million barrels per day. The lions share
of that increase, 573,000 barrels per day, belongs to Russia. That will
not happen again. I will say it again, If March 2007 was not Russia’s
peak, it will be within 100,000 barrels per day of her peak.

  I know several other nations are yet to peak but only Azerbaijan,
Angola and Brazil will increase their annual production by as much as
half a million barrels per day over then next four or five years. Iraq
and Nigeria could do that but above ground violence will likely keep
them from doing it. Other not yet peaked nations such as Algeria,
Canada, U.A.E. and Kazakhstan will produce much more modest gains.
China, I believe, is either at or very near her peak.

  But increased production from these nations will not nearly make up
for the decline in the rest of the world. The entire North Sea (The UK,
Norway and Denmark) is in freefall. Mexico is in steep decline. U.S.
production is currently falling but new oil from the Gulf of Mexico
will stem that decline beginning next year. But declines in the lower
48 and Alaska will keep the U.S. from any dramatic increase in
production. And the OPEC nations of Saudi Arabia, Iran, Indonesia and
Venezuela will continue their decline. Other nations, long in decline,
Oman, Indonesia, Argentina, Gabon, Egypt, Syria, and Australia will
continue their herky-jerky decline.

  And that Richard, is why I say the world has peaked.
Keith Thomas
www.evfit.com