[Peakoil] Energy crisis 'cannot be solved by renewables'

Antony Barry tony at tony-barry.emu.id.au
Sun Jul 8 12:24:21 EST 2007

Energy crisis 'cannot be solved by renewables'
The Australian - Sydney,Australia

Shell's chief gives warning that supplies of conventional oil and gas
will struggle to keep pace with rising energy demand and he calls for
greater ...
<http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/
0,20867,21962585-30417,00.html>

Shell’s chief gives warning that supplies of conventional oil and gas
will struggle to keep pace with rising energy demand and he calls for
greater investment in energy efficiency.

Instead of a great conversion to wind power and solar power, Mr van
der Veer predicts, the world will be forced into greater use of coal
and much higher CO2 emissions, “possibly to levels we deem
unacceptable”.

Alternative energy sources, such as renewables, will not fill the
gap, says Mr van der Veer, who forecasts that even with major
technological breakthroughs, renewables could account for only 30 per
cent of energy supply by the middle of the century.

“Contrary to public perceptions, renewable energy is not the silver
bullet that will soon solve all our problems,” he writes.

phone : 02 6241 7659 | mailto:me at Tony-Barry.emu.id.au
mobile: 04 1242 0397 | mailto:tony.barry at alianet.alia.org.au
http://tony-barry.emu.id.au