[Peakoil] Effect on airlines

Alex P alex-po at trevbus.org
Tue Jan 23 12:23:08 EST 2007

Sometimes I wonder if Peak Oil will actually affect aviation that much.
Since there are some alternatives to cars, such as bikes and public
transport, petrol consumption for cars could be expected to fall. There are
fewer substitutes for aviation, except cars and trains for shorter overland
journeys. So perhaps aviation volumes will actually increase (thought not
as fast as business-as-usual)? ie aviation will suck up a greater
proportion of fuel consumption because cars are giving up their piece of
the pie? If we assume the rich (in world-wide terms) will get richer and
the rest go backwards, then aviation will boom, and everyone else will use
less. Is this what Qantas is betting on with their highly debt-leveraged
expansion?

A similar effect may be happening with the poorest in the world being
priced out of petrol, according to Kunstler. They are dropping out of the
bidding and that keeps the price down for us. Even though we can more
easily economise, they are the ones going without, maybe because they use
fuel so little fuel per person already (ie very efficiently), that below
that amount (ie above that price), it's not worth using any at all (eg you
sell your motorbike and just cycle). Interesting to see if an economist can
come up with an explanation - economics can be very useful when applied
intelligently.

The overall effect of the above would be very perverse, and why we need an
oil depletion treaty.

Alex
O4O4873828

ACT Peak Oil