[Peakoil] SE ASIA OP/ED: Running out of gas

Antony Barry tony at tony-barry.emu.id.au
Tue Feb 20 21:13:27 EST 2007

SE ASIA OP/ED: Running out of gas

Source: Asia Times

"Today there is a growing recognition that no single energy
technology can replace fossil fuels. The search for more visible
solutions, especially ones that can embrace urban populations, has
taken governments on two very different paths: nuclear reactors and
biofuels. Realistically, only the latter is likely to be a part of
immediate post-oil energy planning.

> From an economic viewpoint, the impact of biofuels varies sharply
> depending on location and the available feedstock. There is new
> land, but most is found in forest reserves, pitting investors and
> politicians against local communities. Economic returns from
> biofuels can also skewed by generous government subsidies. Biofuels
> are only likely to become competitive once petroleum begins to run
> out."

Full article: http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Southeast_Asia/IB17Ae01.html

phone : 02 6241 7659 | mailto:me at Tony-Barry.emu.id.au
mobile: 04 1242 0397 | mailto:tony.barry at alianet.alia.org.au
http://tony-barry.emu.id.au