[Peakoil] [Peakoil-announce] Federal budget submission

Keith Thomas keith at evfit.com
Mon Dec 31 03:28:36 UTC 2007

Here are six suggestions:

1. As there is an emergency looming, we need serious national
legislation to override State/Territory pork barrelling. For example,
the federal housing minister needs the power to require State and local
government to impose sensible controls on suburban sprawl (see the DVD
"The End of Suburbia"). There is massive corruption and insider trading
in real estate trading/speculation, which could be stopped by federal
intervention (rules without exemptions for mates).

2. With this legislation abolish vehicle registration fees (except for
a nominal amount of, say, $25.00 to cover the administrative costs of
administering vehicle registration) and add a tax on petrol, LPG and
diesel fuel to compensate. That is, the change should be revenue
neutral.

3. Here's an easy one. All "mileage" allowances paid to Commonwealth
public servants, people travelling on Commonwealth business, business
tax concessions etc. to be based on a modest 4-cylinder 1500cc vehicle.
If anyone chooses to use a larger vehicle, that's their problem. If a
tradesman says he needs his 4WD for business, or a hire car owner says
he needs his limousine - that's fine, but for
taxation/mileage/reimbursement purposes, it will be a 4-cylinder
1500cc.

4. All MPs to be given a 4 cylinder 1500cc and if they need a bigger
car to accommodate their egos, they can pay for it out of their
allowances.

5. I have no idea what taxation benefits there are for land clearing,
but they should stop.

6. All future Productivity Commission inquiries to take into account
environmental externalities. I mention this because the Commission come
under the Treasurer and all their past inquiries have treated oil as
inexhaustible and the environment as a free dump.

Anyone else like to jump in? Post them here and they may seed further
thoughts among the ACT peak oil brain trust.
Keith Thomas
www.evfit.com