[Peakoil] Solving the Car-Propulsion Problem

Keith Thomas keith at evfit.com
Fri Apr 6 06:19:44 EST 2007

Here's the latest from Tesla Motors. Not, I hasten to add, that I think
it is any sort of way forward to reducing global warming, responding to
peak oil or leading in any way to a greener future.
Keith Thomas
http://www.evfit.com
Solving the Car-Propulsion Problem

Predictably, my account last week of a presentation and test drive of
BMW's liquid hydrogen-powered cars generated all kinds of angry
nay-saying.

The "no such thing as global warming" crowd spoke up; the "global
warming isn't human-driven" contingent was heard from.

Most respondents, however, simply called hydrogen cars a dead end.
"You'll produce more pollution burning fossil fuels to CREATE the
hydrogen than you'll save by driving these zero-emission vehicles,"
they reiterated.

Yes, which is why I wrote: "BMW agrees that hydrogen cars are pointless
unless the hydrogen itself is produced using clean, renewable energy
sources: solar, wind, geothermal and so on."

"All right then," some of you argued. "If you're going to imagine a
future where we routinely create clean energy, why produce supercooled
liquid-hydrogen cars? Why not just stick the clean electricity into
batteries?

Actually, I'm excited by this idea, too.