[Peakoil] Top car makers stall on hybrids in Australia

Antony Barry tony at tony-barry.emu.id.au
Sun Sep 3 18:40:49 EST 2006

Top car makers stall on hybrids in Australia
Daniel Dasey Consumer Reporter
September 3, 2006

CAR makers are dragging the chain on introducing alternative-fuel
vehicles into Australia, despite high oil prices and growing consumer
demand.

While motorists in countries such as the United States and Japan can
choose from a wide range of vehicles powered by methanol, hydrogen
fuel cells and hybrid engines, local drivers have few options outside
petrol, gas and diesel.

Despite long-term predictions for high petrol prices, most major car
makers have no immediate plans to clean up their acts. Even so, the
American parents of local manufacturers Ford and Holden offer several
alternative-fuel options in the US, where hybrids made up 1.2 per
cent of vehicle sales in 2005.

Environment groups are calling for government intervention to ensure
the introduction of cleaner, more economical vehicles.

"We would buy them if they were here," Jeff Angel of the Total
Environment Centre said. "The more they produce, the cheaper these
cars are going to become. Car manufacturers should start becoming
part of the solution."

More at http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/top-car-makers-stall-on-
hybrids-in-australia/2006/09/02/1156817150981.html?from=rss
phone : 02 6241 7659 | mailto:me at Tony-Barry.emu.id.au
mobile: 04 1242 0397 | mailto:tony.barry at alianet.alia.org.au
http://tony-barry.emu.id.au