[Peakoil] This is the end? Lovelock comments.

Adrian Whitehead zeroemissionsnow at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 09:29:58 EST 2006

Lovelock's comments (see article below), though possibly correct are clearly
couched in terms of a pessimism that sees little chance of our society
making the big changes needed to give us any change of dealing with the
threat of climate change.

One reason for a lack of effective responce to date is Lovelock types are
saying were are doomed, while Gore and others are telling us to change a
light globe, creating confusion in the public mind as to the severity of
what we are actually facing.

Once people actually realise the situation we face in its full depth the
outcry will be enormous and the resulting response huge as the energy people
have directed in getting us to this point of crisis today will be redirected
into solving the problem, hopefully before its too late.

If anything Lovelock's comments emphasize the importance of the work being
done by Beyond Zero Emission and other groups working on the zero emission
minus goal, for it is only through the attainment of this goal that will we
give the future a chance. Likewise it is the only goal that correctly frames
the problem in a way that solutions become obvious.

We must continue to push the zero emission minus goal, educate the public
about the seriousness of the problem and give them a way forward that
justifies the word "hope".

Adrian

   Search the ABC<http://search.abc.net.au/search/search.cgi?collection=abcall&form=simple>

ABC Home <http://www.abc.net.au/> | Radio <http://www.abc.net.au/radio/> |
Television <http://www.abc.net.au/tv/> | News <http://www.abc.net.au/news/>|
…More Subjects <http://www.abc.net.au/subjects.htm>
   [image: ABC News Online]      News Home
<http://abc.net.au/news/default.htm>  Top
Stories       <http://abc.net.au/news/topstories.htm>  Just In
     <http://abc.net.au/news/justin/default.htm>
World                 <http://abc.net.au/news/world/default.htm>
Australia/Local   <http://abc.net.au/news/australia/default.htm>
Business            <http://abc.net.au/news/business/default.htm>
Politics               <http://abc.net.au/news/politics/default.htm>
Weather            <http://abc.net.au/news/australia/weather/default.htm>
Sport                 <http://abc.net.au/sport/default.htm>
Health                <http://abc.net.au/news/health/default.htm>
Arts                    <http://abc.net.au/news/arts/default.htm>
Sci-Tech            <http://abc.net.au/news/scitech/default.htm>
Environment      <http://abc.net.au/news/environment/default.htm>
Rural                  <http://abc.net.au/rural/news/default.htm>
Indigenous        <http://abc.net.au/news/indigenous/default.htm>
Opinion              <http://abc.net.au/news/opinion/default.htm>
Offbeat              <http://abc.net.au/news/offbeat/default.htm>
Forums              <http://abc.net.au/news/forums/default.htm>
Services             <http://abc.net.au/news/services/default.htm>  Help/Site
Map    <http://abc.net.au/news/helpsitemap/default.htm>    Programs ------
RADIO ------ AM Back. Briefing Corresp. Report Go Asia Pacific
NewsRadio PM Sunday
Profile World Today ------ TV ------ 7.30 Report Asia Pacific Focus Aust.
Story Foreign Corresp. Four Corners Inside Business Insiders Landline
Lateline Lateline Bus. Stateline

   <http://www.abc.net.au/vod/news>

   [image: Print-friendy
version]Print<http://www.abc.net.au/cgi-bin/common/printfriendly.pl?http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200611/s1799843.htm>
 [image:
Email this story]Email<http://www.abc.net.au/cgi-bin/common/mailto/mailto-nojs_query.pl?http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200611/s1799843.htm>
  *Last Update:* Wednesday, November 29, 2006. 10:01am (AEDT)
Gaia scientist Lovelock predicts planetary wipe-out

The Earth has a fever that could boost temperatures by 8 degrees Celsius,
making large parts of the surface uninhabitable and threatening billions of
peoples' lives, a controversial climate scientist has said.

James Lovelock, who angered climate scientists with his Gaia theory of a
living planet and then alienated environmentalists by backing nuclear power,
said a traumatised Earth might only be able to support less than a tenth of
its six billion people.

"We are not all doomed. An awful lot of people will die, but I don't see the
species dying out," he told a news conference.

"A hot Earth couldn't support much over 500 million."

"Almost all of the systems that have been looked at are in positive feedback
... and soon those effects will be larger than any of the effects of carbon
dioxide emissions from industry and so on around the world," he added.

Scientists say that global warming due to carbon emissions from burning
fossil fuels for power and transport could boost average temperatures by up
to 6C by the end of the century causing floods, famines and violent storms.

But they also say that tough action now to cut carbon emissions could stop
atmospheric concentrations of CO2 hitting 450 parts per million - equivalent
to a temperature rise of 2C from pre-industrial levels - and save the
planet.

Mr Lovelock said temperature rises of up to 8C were already built in and,
while efforts to curb it were morally commendable, they were wasted.

"It is a bit like if your kidneys fail you can go on dialysis - and who
would refuse dialysis if death is the alternative. We should think of it in
that context," he said.

"But remember that all they are doing is buying us time, no more. The
problems go on," he added.
Refuge

Mr Lovelock adopted the name Gaia, the Greek mother Earth goddess, in the
1960s to apply to his then revolutionary theory that the Earth functions as
a single, self-sustaining organism. His theory is now widely accepted.

In London to give a lecture on the environment to the Institution of
Chemical Engineers, he said the planet had survived dramatic climate change
at least seven times.

"In the change from the last Ice Age to now we lost land equivalent to the
continent of Africa beneath the sea," he said. "We are facing things just as
bad or worse than that during this century."

"There are refuges, plenty of them. Fifty-five million years ago ... life
moved up to the Arctic, stayed there during the course of it and then moved
back again as things improved. I fear that this is what we may have to do,"
he added.

Mr Lovelock said the United States, which has rejected the Kyoto protocol on
cutting carbon emissions, wrongly believed there was a technological
solution, while booming economies China and India were out of control.

China is building a coal-fired power station a week to feed rampant demand
and India's economy is likewise surging.

If either suddenly decided to stop their carbon-fuelled development to lift
their billions of people out of poverty they would face a revolution, yet if
they continued, rising CO2 and temperatures would kill off plants and
produce famine, he said.

"If climate change goes on course ... I can't see China being able to
produce enough food by the middle of the century to support its people. They
will have to move somewhere and Siberia is empty and it will be warmer
then," he said.

-*Reuters*
  [image: Print-friendy
version]Print<http://www.abc.net.au/cgi-bin/common/printfriendly.pl?http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200611/s1799843.htm>
 [image:
Send to a friend]Email<http://www.abc.net.au/cgi-bin/common/mailto/mailto-nojs_query.pl?http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200611/s1799843.htm>

ABC Top Stories

   - US wheat farmers flag $US1b AWB
lawsuit<http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200611/s1799740.htm>
   - AWAs to cut bank workers' conditions:
ACTU<http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200611/s1799747.htm>
   - Pope defuses tensions on visit to
Turkey<http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200611/s1799715.htm>
   - Israel PM threatens to react to rocket
attacks<http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200611/s1799817.htm>
   - Holden criticised over car parts
decision<http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200611/s1799725.htm>
   - VC may get public
showing<http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200611/s1799727.htm>
   - US military trains bomb-sniffing
bees<http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200611/s1799768.htm>
   - Fletcher confident of Harmy
form<http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200611/s1799828.htm>

      [image: To ABC Online Home Page] <http://www.abc.net.au>

(c) 2006 ABC <http://abc.net.au/common/copyrigh.htm> | Privacy
Policy<http://www.abc.net.au/privacy.htm>

This service may include material from Agence France-Presse (AFP), APTN,
Reuters, CNN and
the BBC World Service which is copyright and cannot be reproduced.

AEDT = Australian Eastern Daylight Time which is 11 hours ahead of UTC
(Greenwich Mean Time)

--
Adrian Whitehead
Beyond Zero Emissions