[Peakoil] Ask an Expert; the End of Oil - part 2 (ABC)

Keith Thomas keith at evfit.com
Sun May 21 12:13:49 EST 2006

I'm no engineer, but it looks to be as sound as the model that took Joh
Bjelke Petersen in when he was premier.

With LPG-powered cars you have a tank filled with LPG under pressure
(the compression of which itself takes energy). But the gas is, at
least, a fuel. Compressed air is not a fuel, but a carrier of energy -
the energy stored in it by the compression process. Unless I have the
mechanical basis of the air car's engine all wrong, all the compressed
air car does is to use the energy stored during the compression as it's
released from the tank. Just like allowing a balloon to deflate.

So, how many calories (or whatever unit of energy) does it take to (a)
compress 90 cubic metres of air to 300 bars? How many units of energy
does it take to (b) drive an air car 200 km? Is (a) significantly less
than (b)?

Isn't that the key question? The next question is: where does the
energy come from to compress the air? It'll be coal-fired electricity
in Australia until Johnny's nukes come on stream.

Incidentally, last month I came across a stat I have been seeking for
the past couple of years. It's on page 8 of the eighth edition of New
Solutions, available here:

http://www.communitysolution.org/pubs.html

The stat is that a litre of petrol contains 8190 calories. Compare that
to a kilogram of fat: 3700 calories.
Keith Thomas
www.evfit.com