[Peakoil] DiscussionPapersand Community Consultation

POLLARD,Sandy Sandy.POLLARD at dewr.gov.au
Fri Mar 31 15:17:58 EST 2006

Hi Leigh

You wrote:
>We're going to need some very solid factual evidence on why we don't
think there's 40 years worth left if we're going to be able to convince
people.

As I guess you know, in a sense, no evidence can be 'factual' because
(1) reserves figures are estimates, and (2) state reserves are often
state secrets.

One of the best summaries of a contrary view is the appendix of one of
the ASPO submissions to the Senate Inquiry:

http://www.aph.gov.au/senate/committee/rrat_ctte/oil_supply/submissions/
sub132.pdf

Key points we can make are:

1) Peak timing and post-peak depletion rate are more important

2) Explain the OPEC 'spurious reserves additions in the mid-80s' issue

3) The USGS 2000 survey (and all that has flowed from it including IEA
estimates) firstly accepts the dodgy OPEC numbers, and secondly uses
incredibly dodgy stats theory in its projections (see the ASPO .pdf)

Another 'classic' paper (that the ASPO submission also links to) is the
Zittel/Schindler piece:

http://www.energybulletin.net/2544.html

Sandy Pollard

DiscussionPapersand Community Consultation

This "40 years according to known reserves" stat is obviously going to
be the juggernaut of antidepletionists/people in general.

Is that the global context based on what places like Kuwait and the
Saudi's say?

We're going to need some very solid factual evidence on why we don't
think there's 40 years worth left if we're going to be able to convince
people.

Cheers,

Leigh

             "POLLARD,Sandy"

             <Sandy.POLLARD at de

             wr.gov.au>
             Sent by:                  <peakoil at act-peakoil.org>

             peakoil-bounces+l
cc
             eigh.kite=hic.gov

             .au at act-peakoil.o
Subject
             rg                        RE: [Peakoil] ACT Energy Policy
and
                                       Climate Change

                                       DiscussionPapersand Community

             31/03/2006 11:44          Consultation

             AM

Sorry Adrian - didn't get to the bottom of your comments. I see you also
found the '40 years' reference.

Sandy Pollard