[Peakoil] ACT Energy Policy and ClimateChange DiscussionPapersand Community Consultation

Adrian Whitehead ccserac.project1 at ecoaction.net.au
Fri Mar 31 15:08:28 EST 2006

I ran with a few arguments at Thursdays meeting

1. I said we were 100% exposed to oil price rises in ACT with no electrified
transport (ignoring cycling and walking) and argued for light rail.

2. I stated that oil peak has predicted to have occurred any time from two
years ago to in 30 years time and that even if we took the most optimistic
view it has taken over tens year of campaigning for light to fail to get any
yet. At this point an audience member pointed out that she remembers the
campaign starting in 1986. I this rate I pointed out we still might have any
in 2040.

3. I raise the issue that fuel prices would go up due to increasing demand
regardless of reacting oil peak or not.

I think more arguments could be made on the necessity to preparing for oil
peak, its impacts, different types of rail such as high speed commuter or
medium speed freight etc etc

and as Leigh said good arguments on the credibility of a depletionist
argument would be important.

Also I was looking at the airpowered cars could we get the ACT government to
purchase these vehicle and 5 filling stations (1 for each town centre) which
could be used by the public as well.

http://www.theaircar.com/