[Peakoil] ACT emissions target...the worlds highest emitters.

Keith Thomas keith at evfit.com
Sun Mar 12 21:32:12 EST 2006

Markus does some good material - remember his piece on how the rising
cost of fuel was affecting the economies of our coastal resorts and
those of towns en route.  He'd be worth cultivating.

I hope the ACT government's figures include the carbon emitted
elsewhere in Australia by the manufacture and transport of goods we
import into the ACT. For example, we don't produce cement here and yet
cement production is a huge emitter of CO2. When a Canberran flies to
Europe and back, does the CO2 emitted for the whole route come onto our
tally sheet?

I don't know the answer to these questions, but it will be well to keep
this sort of perspective in mind when the scoffers criticize the
government's figures.

The important thing will be to pick the low-hanging fruit urgently -
beginning seriously in 2006. 2050 sound a bit ho-hum and discussion
papers can be a way of postponing action. It's certainly a way of
avoiding leadership.
Keith Thomas
www.evfit.com