[Peakoil] Important Announcement

Keith Thomas keith at evfit.com
Thu Mar 2 21:39:11 EST 2006

On 28/02/2006, at 9:59 AM, leigh.kite at medicareaustralia.gov.au wrote:

> Blessed are pessimists, for they make backup plans!  :)
>
> There's no doubt about it that the species is in for a rough ride over
> the next century or two, but don't ever forget that: -
>
> *     We have to be realistic, however if people visualise bad then
> bad is what will manifest.  Be prepared, but stay positive.

I don't see it as wholly bad. There are 6.3 bn of us on this planet and
we are stuffing up the rest of the biosphere. I'd say relieving the
pressure on the rest of the biosphere is a pretty good thing.

> *     We're all part a whole, that whole being the human race.  It's
> fundamentally wrong to just give up and walk away,

Statements like this are easily made without thinking them through. In
fact it's a matter of judgement - the judgement to be made in the light
of the circumstances. i won't go into details here, but the writings of
Daniel Quinn (especially "Beyond Civilization") provide a succinct
statement which carries the work of Jared Diamond ("Collapse") and
Ronald Wright ("A Short History of Progress") to their logical
conclusions.

> especially when you're the kind of person who is in a position to help
> out.  The
> race doesn't advance because a few people live shining lives in
> isolation, the race lurches forward periodically because a
> few shining people manage to spread just a little bit of their light,
> leaving an impression on humanity forever.

The notion of advancement seems to me eerily like the notion of
"progress". It was "progress" that got us to peak oil. The idea of
racial advance I'm not sure about.

> As far as committees and decision making goes, its necessary to have
> them.
> Without communication and planning, we wouldn't have advanced to where
> we
> are today.  The moment any kind of process detracts value from
> whatever it
> is I need to get done, I vapourise it.  The board will be using a
> mostly
> independent peer to peer model with very lightweight process, ie the
> minimum necessary for us to function, and I don't anticipate lack of
> efficiency due to bureaucracy.
>
> Your choice not to participate is probably for the best, you do come
> across as a very independant person.

I tend to independence from formal institutions. The more formal they
are, the further I want to be from them. The other side of this is that
I am prepared to surrender a lot of independence to work easily with
others in a family or group. I know I can do this - hey, being married
for 30 years is good training for the decade beginning in about 2008
:-). But it's impossible to be rigid about this. Australia has huge gas
reserves and may APPEAR to have ample space for human settlement. There
may come a time when China, India, Taiwan or Indonesia decide they need
some of these resources, particularly in the light of pollution
(China), soil destruction (Indonesia) and the likely permanent failure
of the Indian monsoon (it's more likely to have an early impact than
the melting of the Greenland iceap) and they will acquire them by
conquest rather than through the market. Should that happen, I may be
thankful for State institutions to 'repel boarders'. There is another
aspect of the period after peak that I have not seen discussed: the
response of organized crime (and, for that matter, local petty crime).
People who are in urban settings will be vulnerable, whereas those out
on the margins with few possessions will be safest.

> I do look forward to your ideas and expertise when planning our
> various projects and campaigns.  :)

Ah! So I still get to have some fun!

Keith