[Peakoil] Canberra's road's

Keith Thomas keith at evfit.com
Tue Jun 27 22:26:50 EST 2006

There is something to be said for residents of suburbs paying for roads
- but the way to do it is indirectly, not directly. The principle is
that genuine improvements in amenity will increase the value of land in
those suburbs. The increase in value has been paid for by public
investment (in roads, services, facilities etc.) so should not be
harvested by private site owners. Instead, the increase in value should
be harvested through rates on the value of the land (not the value of
the house on the land), returning the community investment to the
community purse to be re-used perpetually for community benefit.
Keith Thomas
www.evfit.com