[Peakoil] squeezing the last drop...

Antony Barry tony at tony-barry.emu.id.au
Sat Jun 10 16:43:51 EST 2006

On 09/06/2006, at 10:27 AM, Jenny Goldie wrote:

> [It seems that the top of Hubbert's Peak will have a few peaks and
> troughs as more oil like this below is extracted as the price rises
> and makes it worthwhile. I wonder whether any work has been done on
> extractable reserves based on specific prices of crude. Jenny]

The Hubbert methodology involves a projection. This projection is
based on shifting reserve figures and production. It therefore builds
in economics and new technology as part of the observed behavior. The
clearest explanation of this I have seen is in Deffeyes [1].

As you go towards the limits of a given province oil fields are
harder find and produce, more expensive and slower.

Tony

1. Deffeyes, Kenneth S. Beyond Oil : The View From Hubbert's Peak.
Hill and Wang, 2005. <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/
0809029561> Chapter 3. The Hubbert  Method. p.35.

phone : 02 6241 7659 | mailto:me at Tony-Barry.emu.id.au
mobile: 04 1242 0397 | http://tony-barry.emu.id.au