[Peakoil] further to Alex's posting on nuclear and Peak Oil

Alex P alex-po at trevbus.org
Mon Jun 5 11:10:42 EST 2006

I went to the Geodynamics presentation. Initially they plan to set up a
plant to power the Moomba gas processing facility, which provides gas to
the east coast. Presently they use 15% of their gas to process and compress
the remainder. So Geodynamics could increase effectively Australia's
domestic gas reserves without increasing the greenhouse impact.

Then Geodynamics wants to connect to the Qld and SA grids in part using
long distance very high voltage DC lines. This would complete a loop in the
grid allowing for better load balancing. It would cost many many millions
of dollars. The use of very high voltage lines would be to reduce
transmission losses.

They have applied for grants for this under various Commonwealth renewables
schemes.

Alex
O4O4873828

ACT Peak Oil
http://act-peakoil.org

On Mon, 5 Jun 2006 10:49:30 +1000, "Jenny Goldie" <jgoldie at snowy.net.au>
wrote :

> This article is from today's Australian. By the way, did anyone go to
the "hot rocks" lecture last week? How viable really is it as an
alternative to coal? Aren't all the potential spots too far away from the
grid?  Jenny
> Iran threatens Gulf oil supplies
> Correspondents in Tehran
> June 05, 2006
> IRAN'S supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, warned the US yesterday
that his country would disrupt Gulf oil supplies if Washington made
a "single mistake" over Iran.
> Insisting that Tehran would never give up its "scientific goals" in the
face of "threats and bribes", Ayatollah Khamenei said the US and its allies
would not be able to provide security to all the oil shipments that cross
the strategic Hormuz Strait - within close range of Iran - in the event of
a disruption.

> "You threaten Iran," he said in a speech marking the 17th anniversary of
the death of Iran's Islamic revolutionary leader, Ayatollah Ruhollah
Khomeini. "You say you want to direct energy in the region. If you make a
single mistake about Iran, the supply of energy will definitely be put in
serious risk."

> The ayatollah's provocative remarks came as EU foreign policy chief
Javier Solana prepared to travel to Iran in the next few days to hand-
deliver a carrot-and-sticks package that aims to convince Tehran to stop
enriching uranium.

> The package, agreed last week by the five permanent members of the UN
Security Council and Germany, carries the threat of UN sanctions if Tehran
remains defiant over its nuclear program, which the West fears is a cover
for producing nuclear weapons.

> It includes an offer by the Bush administration to involve US officials
in direct talks with Iran for the first time in 27 years, if it halts
nuclear fuel production.

> In a day of mixed signals from Tehran, Iran's state-run television said
President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad had told UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan that
a deal on the Islamic republic's nuclear program was possible, if the
International Atomic Energy Agency - the UN's nuclear watchdog - agreed to
Tehran's right to atomic energy.

> Later, Mr Ahmadinejad said Tehran would not be "in haste to judge" the
Western incentives package.

> "A breakthrough to overcome world problems, including Iran's nuclear
case, would be the equal implementation of the law for all," Mr Ahmadinejad
reportedly told Mr Annan during a telephone conversation.

> Speaking to thousands of people in the capital at the tomb of Ayatollah
Ruhollah Khomeini, Mr Ahmadinejad said: "We won't make any prejudgment
about the proposal to be presented to us ... we won't be in haste to judge
it.

> "We are after negotiations but fair and just negotiations. They must be
without any conditions."

> Ayatollah Khamenei declared that Iran's scientific achievements were
a "resource that our late imam had saved for us".

> "It represents our political independence and national self-confidence,"
he said. "We should not sell out this precious resource because of the
enemies' threats and we should not be fooled by enemy bribes."

> Despite the deal on the incentives package, the ayatollah said there was
no consensus against Iran and reiterated his country's denial that it was
developing nuclear weapons. Iran's Foreign Minister, Manouchehr Mottaki,
also said it was open to a negotiated solution.

> "We think that if there is goodwill, a breakthrough to get out of a
situation they (the EU and US) have created for themselves ... is
possible," he said.

> "We are waiting to officially receive the proposals. We will make our
views known after studying the package. We will also mention if any part of
the package is not in Iran's interests."

> At an Asian security conference, US Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld
said Washington was still hoping for a positive Iranian response to the new
incentives package.

> "The information has just been communicated to them, and it seems to me
the appropriate thing now to do is to wait and see which path the Iranian
Government will take," Mr Rumsfeld said.

> The Vatican, meanwhile, insisted diplomacy was the way to resolve the
crisis.

> The Holy See "is firmly convinced that even the present difficulties can
and must be overcome through the diplomatic path, using all means which
diplomacy can avail itself of," Vatican spokesman Joaquin Navarro-Valls
said in a statement.

> Iran is a signatory to the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty and insists
that guarantees it the right to nuclear research for peaceful purposes.