[Peakoil] News items from Canberra Times Fri, 7 Jul 2006

Antony Barry tony at tony-barry.emu.id.au
Fri Jul 7 11:21:07 EST 2006

Peakers

There was nothing worth reporting yesterday or writing about but
there is some today.

"Petrol may rise over $1.50 as oil soars" p.1
Worry over North Korea is pushing up the price. Big car sales are
down, small up.

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=&q=petrol+prices&btnG=Search+News

Comment: As usual the immediate cause is blamed not the long term
problem. There is no spare capacity left in the world's capacity to
produce oil. We are on the brink of peak oil and any disruption
threatens shortages and pushes up the price.
_._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._.

"Oceans can't soak up greenhouse gas emissions indefinitely:
geochemist" by Rosslyn Beeby p3
CO2 from fossil fuels is being added to the oceans faster that the
biological processes that sequester carbon can take it out. This is
making the ocean more acidic which will further reduce sequestering
and reduce the oceans biological capacity.

http://canberra.yourguide.com.au/detail.asp?
class=news&subclass=environment&story_id=493061&category=Environment&m=7
&y=2006

Comment: This is another reason why we have to drastically cut CO2
emissions. If we react to peak oil by going the coal to oil route we
will make things worse unless we can bury the carbon but so far this
has only been done on a relatively small scale.
_._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._.

"Bring on rail freight" Letter from Tom Waring p.12
Road are expensive. Trucks cause a high number of road deaths. Rail
is better.

Comment: There is another reason to prefer rail. It's far more energy
efficient. We are going to have to drastically cut our energy usage
as with the oil running out the cost of energy is going up and we
have to cut CO2 production to fight global warming.

Tony
'

Feral Librarian | http://tony-barry.emu.id.au
P: 02 6241 7659 | tony at Tony-Barry.emu.id.au
M: 04 1242 0397 | tony.barry at alianet.alia.org.au