[Peakoil] Majority Opinion (78% favour renewables)

Adrian Whitehead ccserac.project1 at ecoaction.net.au
Thu Jan 19 12:25:25 EST 2006

Leigh has a good strategy, of wins come from obscure places, and the more
candidates we educate the more likely we will get a good policy response.
Moss Cass, the environment minister under Whitlam gave an example of obscure
wins, when he told a public meeting I was at, that one of the key reasons
the environment legislation he was pushing got up was because the defence
ministers daughter was a strong environmentalist and personally was able to
influence her dad.

I also agree with Sandy, in that mass opinion is important for the ultimate
success of a campaign.

A campaign like peal oil, unlike say the forest debate, there is an
immediate impact that effects all Australia's with the price of oil already
going up, in which case if we can get a simple message to a significant
number of Australians (what this is I don't know but it may even be well
below the majority, given a lot of those swinging aspirational mortgage
voters will be hit hard by the rise in oil prices) before governments start
tacking it seriously.

The challenge here is to get meaningful implementation of policies that will
alleviate the suffering to our society and our economy before the oil peak
hits really hard and to make sure these solutions are environmentally
friendly and dovetail in with climate change solutions.

My philosophy of campaign which was the corner stone of our 66% successful
Otway forest campaign (final finish of logging in 2008 we are still
campaigning to bring this fwd) was to do "total campaigning", which simply
means hit them from every angle possible, resources permitting.

On the ground this was resulted in these sort of activities; lobbying,
stalls, protests, marches, banner drops, media stunts, lock ons, setting up
Pty Ltd tour company, joing local business groups and getting on their
executive, setting up green branches and running environmental candidates,
consumer boycott campaign, school talks, tours, getting the students
involved, public meetings, donors, transition plans, research, members,
sponsors, fundraising, gigs, and so on and so.. all done by a core of no
more than 10 usually 6 or less and a broader active support group of another
5-30. With campaigning there are a lot of options, we dealt with this by
supporting anything anyone wanted to actual DO, so long as it was non
violent and forwarded the campaign no matter how much or how little.

I just wanted to make sure people understood if looking for election type
tactics, the majority does not always mean victory.

Adrian Whitehead