[Peakoil] Debate in ACT Legislative Assembly on "The challenge of adapting a car-based city to a declining oil supply and climate change."

Antony Barry tony at tony-barry.emu.id.au
Sun Jan 15 13:01:05 EST 2006

I couldn't see any mention of this in the archives of the list. Did
anybody on the list talk to Foskey? I presume there are members of
the list who are also members of the Greens?

The debate is here - http://www.hansard.act.gov.au/hansard/2005/
week15/4940.htm

Vicki Dunne also spoke and it was refreshing to see a member of the
Liberal Party saying -

"Obviously, permanently higher energy costs are a reality. To talk
about the end of the cheap fossil fuel era is not to engage in
doomsaying but to echo the sober research of nearly all observers
outside the more deluded echelons of the oil industry. We are near
the time of all-time global oil peak production-the point at which no
increased production is possible-and there will be only gradual
depletion. The estimates vary but some time between 2005 and 2017
seems to be the best guess. Of itself this will not produce a sudden
crisis, unless there is politically-inspired panic on other grounds,
but it will mean a permanent rise in the cost of energy, however
generated. There are not going to be many cheap energy alternatives.
Hydrogen energy at this stage is out of the question, if only because
hydrogen requires more energy to produce than it returns.
Natural gas supplies are at greater risk of depletion than oil
supplies. Wind and solar will only produce a fraction of what we are
currently using, let alone what we will use-especially with the
growth of industrialised economies like India and China-a...."

Simon Corbell responded for the Government.

Tony

ACT Greens MLA Deb Foskey Media Release

Thurs 15 Dec 2005

===================
Oil Era Ending - Territory needs to move
===================

ACT Greens MLA Deb Foskey has raised the challenge of making our city
less dependent on cars as a Matter of Public Importance in the ACT
Legislative Assembly today.

"Climate change is a greater threat to world security than terrorism,
which should give us the political imperative to reduce emissions.
But the price of oil is rising as oil supplies run out, and that
provides an immediate economic incentive as well" Dr Foskey said today.

"Addressing our over-reliance on cars is an urgent task. 2008 was to
be the target year for reducing greenhouse gases for the ACT (that
target was dropped by the Stanhope Government). It is also the year
in which oil supply is expected to peak."

"The ACT Government has a number of policy instruments it can use to
work with Canberra people to make our city more liveable, more
sustainable and less car reliant."

"Among the strategies that the ACT Government could already be
pursuing are:
·	Reduced sales tax, registration fees and parking charges for fuel
efficient, low emission vehicles.
·	Shared use vehicle systems incorporated into new housing developments
·	Combining car-free days with free bus tickets
·	Revitalisation of local centres
·	Investment in light rail and integrated demand-responsive public
transport
·	Local production of goods and produce
·	Increased availability of bike-safe parking.

"There is no shortage of actions that governments can and should be
doing. We are facing unavoidable pressure for change, but that change
will be much easier if Government takes the lead" Dr Foskey said.

Roland Manderson   Media Advisor
ACT   Greens    MLA  Deb  Foskey
Legislative Assembly for the ACT
ph(02)62050551      m 0412241379
==== www.act.greens.org.au =====

Source at http://act.greens.org.au/public/?p=322

phone : 02 6241 7659 | mailto:me at Tony-Barry.emu.id.au
mobile: 04 1242 0397 | http://tony-barry.emu.id.au