[Peakoil] A World Without Oil - Today / Tonight ABC Radio National

Adrian Whitehead ccserac.project1 at ecoaction.net.au
Mon Jan 9 11:29:15 EST 2006

Program #: 3079
Title: A WORLD WITHOUT OIL
Guest: Richard Heinberg
Host: Michael Toms
Item: 3079
Media: CD cassette tape MP3
Listening Club: Yes
For Sale: Yes

Thanks to Rolf von Behrens for this one.

http://www.abc.net.au/rn/summer/summer2005/subpages/newdimensions.htm

Monday 9 January midday, repeat Tuesday 10 January 1am
New Dimensions: Richard Heinberg
#3079 A World Without Oil
View program details (on the New Dimensions website)*

Within our lifetimes we will see the peak in worldwide oil production. Soon
after, we will be forced to learn to function without fossil fuels. The
impact on our culture will be extraordinary-in fact, as Heinberg warns,
"Civilization itself may be fundamentally unsustainable. When you add fossil
fuels to it you have civilization on steroids. That's what we've had over
the last couple of centuries, and that is profoundly unsustainable." But
while change is inevitable, it's also a source of hope. Heinberg points to
the opportunities we'll have to work in service to our natural environment
and our culture, and explains how we will, in fact, create a world where
every culture around the globe is a sustainable culture. 1 hr.

Richard Heinberg is a journalist, editor, lecturer and a faculty member at
New College of California. His monthly MuseLetter received Utne Magazine's
Alternative Press award. His articles have appeared in numerous periodicals,
including Earth Island Journal, Alternative Press Review and The Sun. His
books include The Party's Over: Oil, War and the Fate of Industrial
Societies (New Society Press 2003), Cloning the Buddha: The Moral Impact of
Biotechnology (Theosophical Publishing House 1999) and Powerdown: Options
and Actions for a Post-Carbon World (New Society Press 2004).

Topics explored in this dialogue include:

How you can become less dependent on fossil fuels without sacrifice

Why nuclear energy is not a viable alternative to the fossil fuel crisis

How you can conserve fuel simply by eating vegetables in season

Why World War I and II were actually wars for oil

What strategies we can use to preserve our culture when we run out of oil

Adrian Whitehead
Water & Climate Campaign Officer
Conservation Council of the SE Region and Canberra
P: 6247 7808
F: 6248 5343
M: 0403 735 118