[Peakoil] Complaint from Hoyts with regard to last night

David Price david at dmprice.com
Wed Feb 22 23:34:49 EST 2006

Hi everyone.

Note, that this email is not related to the visit discussed on this list
the last few days, which was to Greater Union in civic.  I hope that one
went well.

It is with sadness that I have to inform you all that I received a phone
call from Hoyts today complaining about the behaviour of one of our
members last night.  I think it was Hoyts Belconnen, but I'm not sure if
he said which one, so it could have been Woden.

They contacted me, since my details are in the domain registration (I'm
impressed that they knew to look there).

Apparently one of their cinema staff was talked to somewhat harshly (I
got the impression there may have been yelling or something, but hearing
at least a second or third hand account, it's difficult to tell).

One issue that he raised was that apparently leaflets were being handed
out in the cinema.  Also, I think he said something about interrupting
the previews.  Not sure what that was about.  Apparently the cinema has
to get permission from the distributors to do that, since I guess the
licensing on the movie has all sorts of conditions placed on it.

Handing them out outside in the foyer sounds like it's less of an issue,
but I got the impression that it would be better if we talked to them
about it before hand.  Apparently part of the altercation with the
cinema staff was simply that they didn't know what was being done.

I realise we are all very passionate about this topic, and some times it
seems like most of society is just ignoring this massive problem (okay,
so most of them _are_ ignoring it), but we'll always get further with
politeness and respect for others.  Evangelism and an aggressive
attitude will generally just get people off side and they'll be less
likely to listen to what you actually have to say.  Just look at the
pro-life movement (I'm pro-choice in case you were wondering, but that's
getting off topic).  A few decades ago their tactics included such
drastic measures as bombing abortion clinics.  They were relegated to
the sidelines, since everyone saw them as extreme nut-cases.  As a
result, their cause didn't get very far at all.  Now their tactics have
completely turned around and are mostly legal and lobbying.  Thing is,
what they're doing now is having a massive effect in the US, with lots
of clinics closing down.

I'd be interested in hearing the other side of the story (since there's
always another side).  So, if whomever was at Hoyts last night (I think
he said it was the 9:15pm session) would care to comment?

David