[Peakoil] Bike submission to Senate enquiry

Keith Thomas keith at evfit.com
Sun Feb 12 15:18:10 EST 2006

Here are a few ideas that you might consider (written as one who
cycle-commutes over 175km a week):

If the oil supply declines we will need to live more locally.
Localization will have to replace globalization. Bicycles are the
iconic emblem of localization.

1. The state of roads and cycle paths. These are mainly bitumen which
will become progressively more expensive as oil prices rise. Roads and
cycle paths made of concrete are themselves dependent on massive energy
inputs to manufacture cement, transport it, mix it and pour it. I'm
sure you will have already thought of the other more obvious issues.

2. The tyre and tube supply (Can we establish latex plantations in
tropical Australia?). Supply from Australia of other parts like pumps,
gears, chains, hubs, stems, bottom brackets.

3. The types of bicycles. Robust load-carriers including heavy loads
 >200kg. Easily maintained (click shifters are neat but wear out
easily).

4. Encourage establishment of small bicycle-repair businesses as part
of a deliberate policy of enlivening suburban shopping centres.

5. More places like "Bicycle Revolution" in Brisbane which renovates
old bicycles cheaply for low-budget use. These could also handle other
low-tech items like sewing machines, washing machines, garden tools,
gates, letterboxes. They should be located in a number of suburbs and
inventories linked by internet so stock could be sourced easily from
across large metropolitan centres.

6. There are many boutique bicycle manufacturers in Australia. There
should be a number of Australian bicycle manufacturers. We can do
better than the Indian 'Hercules' brand, but they provide a model for
what is possible if you look at functionality, rather than glitter.
Keith Thomas
www.evfit.com