[Peakoil] NSW to force ethanol switch

Antony Barry tony at tony-barry.emu.id.au
Thu Aug 24 13:24:42 EST 2006

Source: http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/nsw-to-force-ethanol-
switch/2006/08/23/1156012582651.html

NSW to force ethanol switch

The State Government has signalled that it is going it alone on
ethanol in petrol with Premier Morris Iemma announcing it will  make
up 10 per cent of fuel in NSW by 2011.

Mr Iemma said the target would be subject to the findings of a
taskforce that will consult with oil companies.

"Mandating the use of 10 per cent of ethanol fuel is not as simple as
flicking a switch," he said.

"So we will be working through all the issues to ensure there is a
reliable supply and community confidence in the product before
mandating its use."

The federal government has so far refused to mandate to the national
use of ethanol in fuel.

Last month, NSW Opposition leader Peter Debnam said a future NSW
coalition government would look to introduce a mandated introduction
of ethanol if oil compnaies did not agree to their own target.

phone : 02 6241 7659 | mailto:me at Tony-Barry.emu.id.au
mobile: 04 1242 0397 | mailto:tony.barry at alianet.alia.org.au
http://tony-barry.emu.id.au