[Peakoil] News items from Canberra Times Fri, 18 Aug 2006

Antony Barry tony at tony-barry.emu.id.au
Sun Aug 20 13:02:06 EST 2006

"Policy of fear carbon trading away planet's future" Letters p.12

David Grant writes about the Government's rejection of the Sates
carbon trading proposals. He neglects the economic impact of climate
change. In rejecting a market based solution it is clear his decision
is based on politics.

David Horton writes that his decision is in support of big business
and not the planet.

Tavis Potts says much the same.

Comment: Peak oil will create a shift to different fuels. Most of
these are worse for global warming if we continue to drive as much
and as inefficiently as we do. Carbon taxes will increase the price
of petrol. This is a good thing as it will give market signals to
encourage alternatives which we have to shift to, and to alternatives
which emit less CO2.

phone : 02 6241 7659 | mailto:me at Tony-Barry.emu.id.au
mobile: 04 1242 0397 | mailto:tony.barry at alianet.alia.org.au
http://tony-barry.emu.id.au